Reload this Page >

Wales - Road Trip

Search

Wales - Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 12:29 AM
Pat

Wales - Road Trip

<BR>Posting this again because I posted to the wrong place!<BR><BR>Going to Wales this August, based in Newport. Have planned a 3-day stay in Liverpool during our visit and was hoping to tour along the south, west and north coasts to get to Liverpool, then drive south, as we only have 2 days to return to Newport.<BR><BR>Can anyone suggest the best route north-south? Would like to drive through the east part of Wales, but possibly it might be easier driving via Chester, Stratford, etc.<BR><BR>Any advice, or web sites to recommend? Thanks!<BR><BR><BR>

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 03:40 AM
Doug Weller

A5 to Shrewsbury. You might consider a detour to Llangollen, but I'm not sure about time. Probably better to take in Chester if you want another stop.<BR><BR>Then the A49 through Church Stretton (http://www.churchstretton.co.uk/) to Ludlow. Great food in Ludlow, lovely town. http://www.ludlow.org.uk/<BR><BR>Then the A49 to Hereford and see the Mappa Mundi. http://www.aboutbritain.com/HerefordCathedral.htm<BR><BR>And on to Newport.<BR><BR>Don't worry at all about Stratford. Not only is it too much of a detour, it isn't nearly as nice as the places above.<BR><BR>In Shrewsbury, go to McDonald's to see the old town walls! (To search the web for Shrewsbury search on Shrewsbury and tourism).<BR><BR>You can't go wrong with the places I list above.<BR><BR>Doug

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Frances

I'm not sure from your query whether you want to travel to the south west and north of Wales or whether you have made up your mind to go to the east only<BR>The advice above covers the Marches but does not allow you to travel much further west.<BR>From Newport you can travel west to Pembrokeshire, then turn north into south Cardiganshire then drive up the coast via Aberaeron, Aberystwyth, Machynlleth Dolgellau Porthmadog and hit the coast at Caernarfon where you turn east.There is so much to see on this route that you will need to decide what your priorites and interests are.I posted a lot of info on this last summer which I'll try and find and top for you.<BR>The journey from Newport to Pembs to Caernarfon to Liverpool could be done in a long day but you would spend all your time travelling.Alternatively it could take 2 weeks.<BR>If there's anything else you want to know please come back.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Frances

I have found the thread I mentioned above it is called "Wales and Lake District lodging"

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Pat

Thank you so much Doug and Frances! That is exactly the information I needed. Now to choose WHAT to see will be the difficult part...<BR><BR>Much appreciated,<BR><BR>Pat