Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Here's your chance to give some witty responses!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 03:31 PM
Cruiser

I will be bringing a large bottle of wine on my 7 day European cruise. My wife and I are not big wine drinkers and figure that we can make it last 3 or 4 meals. <BR><BR>I understand that we will have to pay about $10 for the wine steward to open the bottle, and I assume that it is not expected that we share our wine with others at the table.<BR><BR>Am I right?

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 03:33 PM
Kate

The only thing I would do is wrap the bottle in some thick bubble wrap so that it does not accidently break. Just my 2 cents. Whether or not you share or not is your business.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 03:48 PM
Bubba

Hell, just unscrew the cap yourself! Nice troll and honest in your topic. Please don't tell me this was an actual post on the "Cruise Forum"?

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 03:49 PM
xxx

If you both use straws to sip your wine from the bottle it may help to make it last for the 3 or 4 meals and then you won't have to worry about anyone else wanting to share it! Problem solved.<BR><BR>Enjoy your cruise.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 03:57 PM
cruisin

FYI: <BR>the Captain will come around some time during the night , and ask for a taste.Depending on the Captain that you have, there will either be wine leftover or you and the Mrs should bring more wine for the other 3-4 nights.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 04:02 PM
Patrick

Make sure you have a back up bottle in your cabin. You might be surprised with the long meals that you might drink more wine than usual. Since you want to make the bottle last, just make sure you don't empty it completely at any given meal. Then you can return it to your room and refill it part way so nobody will realize you're cutting them out of another corkage fee (or is that an "unscrewing" fee?). By the way, some wines are now available in a box or carton with a little spigot on the side. If you take one of those instead, you won't have to worry about the bottle breaking in your luggage. And since you can set it on the edge of the table and just open the spigot and pour out what you want, you won't have to tip anyone for pouring your wine.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 05:51 PM
Linda

Kepp an eye on the other dinner guests. Have they left the table with any wine left in their glass? Sneak over to their table before it is cleared and pour the unused wine into your bottle. Once you get to know the fellow passengers and figure out which ones never drain their glass, you can go over to their table prior to their departure, dazzle them with some scintillating evening banter and they will be so distracted, they may even leave more wine in their glass in their haste to vacate their table. This should make your bottle last way beyond the 3 or 4 meals you planned. Good luck!!

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 09:23 PM
kalena

How large a bottle will you be hauling to the dining room? If it's a 1.5 liter, you may want to decant. <BR><BR>But talking security, I'm curious just how hard is it nowadays to get a corkscrew on board. Although I'm not quite of the spigot school of pouring, taking wine-in a box would handily assuage safety and security concerns. Another helpful travel tip from a fellow fodorite.<BR><BR>BTW, I also like Linda's interactive approach. Think how many friends you'll make!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 05:50 AM
Cruiser

Who said the European Forum is populated by a bunch of "sticks in the mud"? If you dig below the surface you guys and gals really do have a keen sense of humor. Thanks, and keep those suggestions comming, I want to retain as much wine as possible.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 06:10 AM
Capo

Paste a Boone's Farm label over the label on your bottle and I'd bet no one at your table would WANT to share your wine.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:00 PM
kalena

Good one, Capo.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 09:13 AM
ahem

Just take a big swig out of the bottle, let a little backwash. Shouldn't have any trouble with sharing! I'm just not sure what to do with the captain should he arrive. Imagine the dropped jaws if you do offer him some wine from your bottle!?!

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 09:40 AM
x

Have the wine in your cabin before dinner, then order unsweetened tea or decaf coffee with the meal, and offer to share that. Pass your cup or glass around to get the break the ice (etiquette demands allowing your table neighbors to have the first slurp). Suave.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Smoker

A big chesty cough over the open bottle infront of table mates should do the trick.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:02 AM
laughing to the top

Smoker.Good One LOL~

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Duke

You can take the polyester crowd out of Vegas and Branson, but you can't take the Vegas and Branson out of......<BR><BR>This question has me seriously worried! All those people I work so hard to avoid by going to Europe and not to the Vegas/Branson/Orlandos of the world have now saved enough bottle money and are heading overseas! I gotta go somewhere else now. Europe cruises are officially low middle class.