Budapest, Vienna & Prague - Travel by Train

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,<BR>Planning to travel to these cities in the summer - Is there a big difference between 1st class and 2nd class seats? In other words, is it worth the extra expense? Thanks.
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 04:18 AM
ira

Hi<BR> Depends on your age. Forty years ago I went 2nd class. Now I go 1st with seat reservations.
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 09:48 AM

I don't like &quot;is it worth it&quot; questions because there's no way to answer it -- depends on your values, budget, and general taste and what you prefer to spend your money on, rather than the actual monetary amount.<BR><BR>It's worth it to me because it is nicer, often less crowded, and the difference in cost from my experience is very small in that area. I've taken first class from Prague to southern Czech Republic and then over to Poland (but on a train coming from Vienna), and the cost was so cheap for that entire run first class, I can't imagine it would have been worth $5-10 to save that by booking second class on an 8 hr trip.
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 10:30 AM

For us it depends on what type of train we are taking. On ES trains in Italy we are perfectly comfortable in 2nd and don't feel the extra cost for 1st is necessary. However, on IC Italian trains we do opt for 1st and a reserved seat.<BR><BR>We are making a trip similar to your soon and have our trains from Prague to Vienna, and from Vienna to Budapest chosen (all 1st class on IC or EC trains). Will buy all our tickets when we arrive in Prague.
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 12:42 PM

There is little difference. A good idea is to book second, arrive 15 minutes before departure, and if second looks crowded and first inviting to settle in first, and pay the train conductor when he or she comes round.<BR><BR>Please write again if I can help further. Welcome to Europe.<BR><BR>[email protected]<BR><BR>
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks to you all. <BR>Regards.