budapest to prague- train

Old May 27th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
budapest to prague- train

My husband, daughter, and I will be visiting Budapest and Prague. We will travel by train between the two cities. Should we book first class as opposed to other classes? Should we try to travel at night as opposed to during the day?

Thoughts...

Thanks,
Debbie
Old May 27th, 2007, 01:06 PM

There are 3 no-change connections from Budapest to Prague during the day.

1. Leave Budapest at 9:50; arrive Prague at 16:25.

2. Leave Budapest at 13:50 and arrive at 20:30.

3. Leave Budapest at 5:50 and arrive at 12:25.

The Austrian train website recommends reservations.

There are other connections, but they require changes of train and take longer.

As for going at night, there is a departure at 19:50 and arrives at 6:05.
This trip takes 10 hours plus.

I personally find it awkward to arrive at that hour of the morning. What do you do until you can occupy your hotel room? Usually you can leave your luggage at the hotel and then you are free to look around Prague for a while.

As for first versus secone class, I suggest first class if you can afford it cost wise. You will have more sitting space in your seat and facilities will be a little nicer.

I don't know the cost because the Austrian site does not give out international ticket prices.

I looked at Elvira (Hungarian rail web site) but it defies use. I looked at the Czech site, and the Austrian. None give international prices.

The distance is 611 k. In Austria for a similar trip the cost would be €90 each adult in first class. I can only guess for Hungary - Czech Republic.
That price is undiscounted I might add.

You say other classes. You have 1st and 2nd as far as I know.

Old May 27th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. That helps a lot. We can upgrade to first class train for $32 each person. Seemed reasonable to us.

You have been very helpful.
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:02 PM

Let me add that first class is not always a guarantee of significantly better seating than 2nd class. I don't know that particular route and the equipment it uses.

I do know that we took the Maria Theresia from Zürich to Vienna and about all we got for our money was a compartment that we had to ourselves most of the way. It would have held 6 people, but none showed up until Salzburg.

The seats looked and felt like they had been well used by Maria herself in her later days when it took about 6 strong men to hoist her up to the Gloriette overlooking Schönbrunn Palace and Vienna itself.

You will get more space, usually.
Whether or not first class is a lot better or just marginally better remains to be experienced.

Old May 27th, 2007, 08:09 PM

The first class seats on the same train take just as long to get to your destination as the second class seats. I would just reserve in second unless I was taking a night train. If you go at night get a sleeper or at least a couchette.
Old May 28th, 2007, 05:56 PM

Perhaps so, but coach class seats on an airplane sure make the trip seem one heck of a lot longer than business class!!

True the airplane arrives at the same time for all classes, but the last time I flew coach, I arrived grumpy and full of venom.
I swore then I would never ride Air France or Delta again.

Us Airways is not a heck of a lot better !! At least on a 767 I can get on the sides where the seating is 2 rather than 3. My travel mate and I have worked out ways to extend our legs into each other's airspace. Cannot do that with a stranger, usually.

Sure helps to travel with your life-long girl friend. Spoken communication is not always needed!!