Train from Budapest to Prague

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2003, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be disembarking from a river cruise on 18/4/04 in Budapest and want to travel by rail to Prague later that day. We ( two couples) are considering taking the overnight train and would appreciate some guidance and advice. I see that there are 3 person compartments, but no 4 person? From other messages it looks like 2nd class is more than adequate, correct?
Thanks
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 04:45 AM

Hello,
We recently traveled on the overnight train from Krakow to Prague and had a 3-person compartment, which is second class and it was fine. We also traveled by train during the day from Prague to Krakow second class and that was fine too. I've been told that 4-person compartments are rare but I really don't know that for a fact.
You will love Prague!! It is beautiful!
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 04:57 AM
JonJon

The current night service without change leaves Budapest about 7:30 PM and arrives the next morning at about 5:30 AM..are you sure you want to do this? Depending upon what time your boat docks in Budapest there is a 10:10 train that arrives in Prague about 6.5 hours later...I know the scenery on this trip isn't exactly spectacular but arriving in Prague at 0530 isn't either and I'm a morning person!
Enjoy Prague, though..I agree it is a great city.

Old Nov 20th, 2003, 05:01 AM

It's a few years since we made that same journey, but definitely we had a 4 bed compartment. Even if the 4 of ye are together, make sure your wallet, tickets etc. are tucked away tightly under you. Never had any problems on overnight trains myself but we've all heard the stories. 2nd Class? It depends on your own standards really. It's not exactly luxurious but fine as long as you're not expecting en-suite, bedside lamps.... Have a great trip - 2 great cities.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 05:06 AM

The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European Timetable. Table 60 (winter) shows your train, the Pannonia Express from Budapest Keleti at 1940 to Prague Hlavni at 0533. The train has 1 and 2 berth sleepers in first class, and 3 berth sleepers and crowded 6 berth couchettes in second class. I am afraid that nearly all 4 berth sleepers are found in the former Soviet Union and on hotel trains within and from Spain. Fares are roughly these
Second class basic 60 euros, sleeper supplement 40 euros, total 100
First class basic 90 euros, sleeper supplement 60 euros, total 150.

In fact second class and first class sleeping compartments are one and the same thing. If they lay out three berths you are second class, if one or two you are first class. In your case I think you do not want to share, so you need two doubles, in first class.

18 April falls a week after Easter Day, so trains will be fairly full, and you need to reserve. You can do this through Euraide in Florida, http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...e/homepage.htm, telephone 1 941-480-1555 fax 1 941-480-1522 [email protected]). Also you can book through three firms in Britain:

Trainseurope Ltd, of Cambridgeshire and London, take credit card bookings by phone and mail tickets to any address. Have the widest access in Britain to rail systems and tickets. http://www.trainseurope.co.uk/ - E-mail [email protected]. Phone 00 44 900 195 0101 - calls from Britain cost 60p per minute, maximum 5, but if the enquiry results in a booking, the cost of the call is deducted from the final invoice. Phone Mon to Fri 10 to 5 British time

German Rail UK: www.deutsche-bahn.co.uk/ Phone : 00 44 870 243 53 63 then 6. Fax : 00 44 208 339 4700. E-mail : [email protected]

Ffestiniog Travel, site http://www.festtravel.co.uk, e-mail [email protected], phone 00 44 176 651 2400

For international tickets, berths and seats Trainseurope are ten percent cheaper than German Rail UK or Ffestiniog Travel. For domestic Italian trains they are cheaper again. German Rail UK are cheaper than Trainseurope or Ffestiniog Travel for domestic trains within Germany and may be competitive with Firm for international trips with a big proportion of miles in Germany. Trainseurope take Visa and MasterCard, but not Amex or Diners.

RailEurope take a thirty percent markup on standard prices.

Arrival at 0533 is not too good. If you can still change, I think you should consider home, Prague, Budapest, home, as that lets you board your sleeper in Prague station (beware pickpockets) at 2300, leave at 2334, and reach Budapest at 0808. But I think you cannot. I suppose you cannot catch the last day train, the Csardas restaurant car Express, from Budapest Nyugati at 1410 to Prague at 2113 ?

There is a note on getting the best from sleepers and couchettes at http://www.twenj.com/tipsnighttrains.htm/. Please write if I can help further.

[email protected]
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response. I think we will take the 1410 train and just spend an extra night in Prague. Then we will be fresh the next day and ready to enjoy the city.