Need help choosing an island

Old Nov 13th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help choosing an island

I've been looking into travelling to Santorini, but it seems that many people have posted about it not being the best beach island, and that it's scenery/sunsets is the appeal. What island would you recommend that is the 'best' or more appealing island for beach-going in Greece? (I've started looking into Naxos or Rhodes??) I'm interested in an island that's not too crowded (so probably not Mykonos), yet not too secluded; still interested in a decent choice for restaurants and shopping; would like to avoid as much island-hopping/air travel as possible from Athens. I'm looking at the September timeframe to go, and would have about 3 days allocated to go there (not including stopping in Athens).
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 10:13 PM
brotherleelove2003

The thing about Santorini that makes it such a desirable destination is its spectacular views of the Aegean from the cliffs overlooking the caldera. The beaches are not your normal sandy beaches, but either black sand or black or red rock/pebbles. Kamari Beach is very popular. Just bring some "reef walkers" to keep from burning the bottoms of your feet. It's easy to get around the island as it's not all that large. Local buses connect every corner of the island with the main village of Fira, where the shopping is very diverse. Oia is the most beautiful village, the one with the blue-domed chapels everyone sees in photos. In spite of its popularity and summer crowds, I still recommend Santorini as a very special holiday destination. I've been there several times for up to 6 months, and can say that with a little effort you can find quiet corners of the island's villages where you can enjoy the timelessness this island possesses.

Old Nov 18th, 2003, 01:35 PM

Santorini has a couple of nice beaches that are sandy with lots of restaurants and shops around. Buses go there from Thira.
Rhodos has a nice beach but small at Lindos (not very handy unless you have a car rental). The beach in town is overcrowded and not that great. Of those 2 islands I would pick Santorini for beaches. Naxos has nicer beaches, the town beach is nice but crowded depending on when you are there but there are beaches out of town which are beautiful. Naxos has a better mix of beaches and things to do then Santorini but it cannot compete with the Kodak views of Santorini.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 04:16 PM

Hi there - I have travelled a lot through Europe, Asia, the Pacific and America, and my favourite holiday above all others was to Crete...it was so enchanting I have revisited and often think about when I will return! Of all the Greek Islands, Crete is often forgotten...whilst it is further to travel, it is well worth the extra journey for it's beauty and culture...
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 10:48 PM

Sometimes on this forum it almost seems as if there are only two islands in the Cyclades - Mykonos and Santorini. The thing about the Cyclades is that you don't have to choose an island. Distances are short, and ferry connections excellent. Island hopping in Greece is one of life's great pleasures. You can spend a few days on, say, Santorini, and then move on to another island. Naxos is one of my favourites, and does have excellent beaches.

As for crowded, in July and August any Greek island with good beaches will be crowded. In June and September there are fewer visitors, plenty of available rooms, and prices lower. Not sure I would like to go in Sep 2004, however. Getting through Athens/Piraeus will probably be a nightmare, and there will most likely be many Olympic visitors wanting a few days on the islands.