Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Brussels- Hotel Siru or Brussels Welcome Hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2008, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a moderately-priced 3* hotel in Brussels for just one night. Comfort Art Hotel Siru is just slightly cheaper, so budgeting won't help me decide. But having never been to Brussels before, I don't know which hotel is the way to go, which has the better location, and so forth.

Has anyone stayed at either hotel, or better yet, both? If so, I'd love your feedback. Thanks!
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 06:20 AM

Only stayed at the Comfort Art Hotel. Hotel was okay, rooms (at least mine) not exactly huge.
Re. location: The Welcome Hotel is a bit better since it's a bit closer to the Old Town.
I liked the location of the Siru better, though, because it is right at Rogier metro stop served by many lines, and at the beginning of the pedestrian zone with many "normal" (department) stores, a pretty big shopping center, and many restaurants and it's not touristy as the vicinity of the Grand Place.
But when I am in Brussels it's always on business, so my preferences may vary a bit from yours.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 01:45 PM

The Welcome is lovely. It's within 10 metres of the Metro. The rooms are wonderfully idiosyncratic, and the location is good- if a bit more touristy than business.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 01:49 PM

I stayed at the Welcome hotel last year in August. The staff were great; the breakfast was fine and the hotel was quirky and sweet, if a bit faded.

The hotel is on a sort of square in town... quite a walk from the train station, but close to tourist attractions. It also has a computer with free internet access near the lobby and several vending machines, if you're looking for those things.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 01:55 PM

I would definitely describe the Welcome as quirky. It has a good location, near good restaurants--and they gave us good advice.

However, you should check about the room. There were three of us, and the room they gave us had a steep ladder to the bed--which was not much fun in the middle of the night. And we weren't told about this ahead of time.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 06:47 PM

There are a couple of Ibis hotels in the Grand Place area, perhaps one of those would do. Most Brussels hotels have lower rates on the weekends than weekdays. Actual photos on Tripadvisor reviews.

http://www.ibishotel.com/

- look for the one off Grand Place or the Ste Catherine location.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 08:23 PM
lyb

I've also stayed at the Welcome Hotel, it's a fun hotel, different than the boring american type hotel. The location is perfect for the metro....I have pictures on my website from my trip 3 years ago.

http://www.lynnsview.com/Gallery/
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, Lynn! I just checked out your pictures, and they're great. I'm going to go back when I have more time, because I'll be visiting Bruges too, and haven't spent much time investigating what it's all about. I've heard lovely things, though, and I can't wait to get there.

Thanks to everyone else's replies about The Welcome, too!

Lynn- that Cuba room was hysterical! That must've been quite a shock upon entering
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 05:08 PM

I had the Safari Kenya room, and boy did I wish that mosquito net over the bed came down. Right after I checked in, a mosquito decided to join me in my room. It got me twice before I pulled out the bug wipes I'd brought for Amsterdam.

I can't blame the mosquito... how often do you get an animal skin on your wall outside of Africa?
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 11:45 PM
lyb

Kylie,

The Cuba room was so much fun, and I loved their attention to the details. If I went to Brussels, I'd definitely try to stay there again.

Do try and go to Bruges, it's such a wonderful place. I have that on my list of "must go back" cities.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 02:08 AM

Another Welcome fan checking in. Our stay was delightful and the service was excellent. Sophie even took us to the train station in her car. My only complaint is they closed their excellent restaurant to expand the hotel.We had some of our best meaals there.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

I've heard that too about the restaurant, Avalon. That's too bad!

Sounds like everyone has loved The Welcome-- thanks for the feedback