Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Brussels Hotel Recommendations Inexpensive and Central

Old Apr 15th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a few days in Brussels in early June, 2006 with my father and my son. We would like to stay ( not as a triple) somewhere central to Brussels but not more than $200 per night. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 01:30 PM

You should have a wealth of choices at that price range. Unless there is a major convention or EU meeting, Brussels hotel prices are surprisingly competitive.
Although we have our own apartment in Brussels, from time to time I stay in hotels there (for business meetings) or book friends into rooms. Our default favorite hotel is the Sofitel Toison d'Or, a 4-star hotel near the Louise metro stop, very convenient for getting around town and in the midst of one the city's prime shopping areas. The rooms are spacious, very comfortable, air conditioned, etc. and it has an attractive garden courtyard. I plugged in a few days in June and got room quotes of around 100 euros per night, without breakfast, or 115 euros with breakfast (for two or three).
http://www.sofitel.com/sofitel/fiche...he_hotel.shtml

Well reviewed on Trip Advisor (although they have it incorrectly listed as a 3 star hotel)
http://tinyurl.com/lnppu

The Hotel Welcome is another popular choice in the Ste. Catherine's area. It doesn't particularly appeal to me, but it has plenty of fans. I think the Sofitel is a step up in quality and the cost is about the same.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks BTilke...I knew you'd answer! I think your opinion is great. I used to live in Boitsfort but I haven't been in Brussels for almost 15 years so I wasn't sure where to stay. Can't wait to be in my 2nd home for a few days at least.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 02:49 PM

My daughter <i>loooves</i> Hotel Welcome.
She has been to Brussels about 7 times and always stays there..they pick her up at the airport and are very helpful with reservations etc.
Not sure of their rates, but they do seem to be very nice..especially if you liked Theme rooms
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 04:04 PM

We stayed at the Atlas Hotel in 2002, and I would definitely use it again. It is about 650 meters walk to Grand Place (about 4 blocks). Our room was quiet, a bit larger than normal budget Europe hotel, very nice bath. It is not luxury but a very good value for the price, more like a business-class hotel
Atlas Hotel Brussels ***
Rue du Vieux March&eacute; aux Grains, 30 Brussels 1000
http://www.atlas.be/
Double/Twin: Mon-Thurs 125&euro; / Fri-Sun 85&euro;
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 04:37 PM

Have a lovely time! If you head out to Boitsfort, you will find they are digging up the area to extend the 94 tram line to meet up with the end of the 1a metro line (about time). And the Atomium is now all shined up as a piece of high kitsch for the 21st century. Mini-Europe is trying to figure out how to squish in all those new EU members. And there are new restaurants, shopes and apartment buildings all over the place (some really gorgeous, luxury apartments have gone up near Fort Jaco). The Ave. Toison d'Or area has a big gaping hole that will be filled with an enormous entertainment complex one of these days.
Re hotels, check out the rates on some of the independent hotels (like the Welcome) and also do a check on the Accor site to see what kind of deals they are offering at the Sofitel and the Novotel (a nice one) that's a stone's throw from the GP and the glass covered shopping arcades. And you might want to do a search on a hotel site like www.hotel.de

You should have no problem finding rooms in good hotels (4*) at that rate.