brussels accomodations

Search

brussels accomodations

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brussels accomodations

From what I read here and elsewhere, the choices for hotels in Brussels are very expensive or "sleazy". Does anyone have a suggestion for around $150 a night? the one hotel suggested in Fodors reviews as moderate, turned out to be $218 a night. We just want a clean room with a nice bed and shower. Thanks
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 11:10 PM

You may or may not be interested but I stayed in what was just about the best place and certainly the best value for money in my visit to eight European countries. My other best value was Hydra and Mykonos, but back to Brussels. It is the Sleepwell Hostel, in the centre of town, quite new, has private rooms, a cafe, internet, TV etc and it was great, I just wish I could have found a place like this in every city instead of having to stay in a hotel. It's a private property not a YHA and has very helpful, friendly staff. The website is<BR>www.sleepwell.be<BR>I just had another look at it and almost too good to be true prices but having been there I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Brussels. I know you mentioned $150 but think of what you can save and have a spend up elsewhere.
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 11:29 PM

teresetrees: Do a search on Hotel Welcome. We found this small hotel, five minutes walk from the Grand Place through this board and enjoyed it very much. The rooms are very large, decorated in medieval clutter. The breakfast is good and the staff are very friendly and helpful. It is a fun place at about $120 per night. The search will turn up a number of positive posts about this hotel. Have a great trip.
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 01:24 AM

I'll second the Hotel welcome..large, very clean rooms and baths..we even had a real king sized bed. sophie and Michel the owners are delightful and their restaurant , which is in front, very very good!
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 02:24 AM

I knew I had this somewhere!<BR><BR>http://www.hotelwelcome.com/
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 08:27 AM

Atlas Hotel, Rue du vieux March&eacute; aux Grains 30, Brussels 1000<BR>– this might be classified as a ‘business’ hotel, was very nice and had a large bedroom and huge bathroom (by Euopean standards) situated off an internal courtyard. This one was very nice and I would recommend to anyone (115 Euro/dbl - less weekends). The bedroom had plenty of space to maneuver around the beds, a desk/chair unit, and two armchairs. There was a small foyer with a full-length mirror and a closet/cupboard. The bath was a tub with shower, gleaming fixtures, and plenty large. The location was good, about 2 blocks the opposite side of the Bourse from the Grand Place, ie. walk past Bourse to get to Grand Place. The only unfortunate thing here was so much road construction to walk past, but that’s the way it goes (and might be gone by now). <BR>They were very good with booking over their website, and with followup emails...<BR>http://www.atlas-hotel.be/atlas/default.html<BR>
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 04:48 PM

i stayed at the hotel la madeleine (spelled something like that) 18 months <BR>ago. I recently looked at their website and saw the double room is 100 euros. It is right around the corner from both grand place and the train station. while the rooms were small, i stayed in two as i went to amsterdam and then came back, they were both well kept, clean with modern baths en suite. The price included a decent breakfast. I'll stay there again when i go back.
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 04:53 PM

The Hyatt on the Avenue Louise often runs specials for as little as $115 a night, including breakfast. It's a luxury hotel, formerly an independent &quot;boutique&quot; hotel that was acquired by Hyatt. Excellent service, plush rooms. But we've only found those rates on the Hyatt's own site, not Expedia or even discount hotel sites.<BR>
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 05:41 PM

Try www.travelnow.com - we booked a room through the site at Le Meridien (luxury) for $117 USD (tax inclusive). Le Meridien was a great location - right across the street from the train station, and just around the corner from the Grand Place.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 12:09 AM

Quark<BR>that's really interesting, I stayed at the Hotel La Madeleine when Sleepwell was booked out and I was given a single room that had no access to a bathroom either in the hallway or the room. I was totally disgusted as this would not be allowed in NZ and cannot think how they can get away with it. So that would be my last choice. Besides the fact it was of course twice the price as Sleepwell.