Is Montmartre good for hotel stay

Old Feb 21st, 2003, 10:15 AM
sec
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Montmartre good for hotel stay

While searching the web sights like Travelocity and Expedia, I've noticed that the majority of low-priced hotels are located in the Montmartre area of Paris.
Why is this so? Is Montmarte a safe place to settle down for a hotel stay?
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 11:20 AM
Syl

If you want the best located hotel in Paris for 108 euro, I recommend the Hotel de Lille in the 6th on Rue de Lille. It's 5 min. from both the Louvre (just cross the bridge) and the D'Orsay. Rooms are tiny but accomodation is clean with a decent breakfast included. The Left Bank is wonderful.
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 11:27 AM

Montmartre is not unsafe. Parts of it are perhaps a bit seedy; others are quite charming. (Have you seen "Amalie"?)

Although I enjoy visiting this neighborhood, it's not my first choice of where to stay because it's not as easy to walk everywhere, given its hilly location on the northern edge of the city.

Travelocity and Expedia are not likely to list most of the smaller, charming hotels that many on this board (myself included) prefer.
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 12:31 PM

ditto what lesli said. There are much better areas that put you closer to the things you will want to see and the same prices. I would never use those sites for Paris. Do searches here and you will find better choices.

Wendy
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 01:38 PM

It could be coincidental, but it is a lower cost area because it's out of the way and there aren't very many nice hotels up there.

I will also say that those are not good web sites for picking a Paris hotel. You know they mainly deal with large chain hotels and those that cater to tour packages, stuff like that, and those that have trouble selling rooms so they bargain on sites like those where people may not know the area very well (ie, you may find hotels in the 10th arr on there also).
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 02:09 PM

Montmartre is a very interesting neighborhood, but I would not recommend it for people who are not very familiar with Paris. For those who know their way around and have selected Montmartre after making an informed comparison, it's a totally different story.

I've stayed in Montmartre and one place that caught my eye because of its location (but I haven't stayed there), is part of the Timhotel chain in Paris:

http://www.timhotel.com/hotels/us/montmartre.html

It runs 115 Euros for a double on their website at this time of year and for a Montmartre location with a truly picturesque setting, it is one that I would certainly be willing to check out. (I doubt that it is anything exceptional; just a "safe" choice in Montmartre. I found the Timhotel down the hill rather basic; nearly Spartan.) Bottom line: you can do better for the same or less in a different neighborhood.
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 02:27 PM
sec
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your responses.
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 08:55 PM

I like Montmartre. I recently stayed in the area near Place d'Anvers (the flat part), which felt quite untouristy as compared to the area around the Butte.
Although not familiar with Paris, I found it a good base and had no trouble getting around - either walking around the local neighbourhood or by metro to some of the other areas. And it is so lovely to be able to just wander up to the Sacre Coeur from your hotel in the early evening. I would quite likely stay there again.
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 09:12 PM

i stayed at the Montmarte Timhotel several years ago--typical older hotel and slightly worn thruout. location is fine-on small square just two blocks from the abbesses metro. but the hills take a toll on your arches.
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 08:00 AM

Montmartre itself is a lovely neighborhood, with narrow streets that are terrific for strolling. However, many/most of the hotels that are advertised as being in "Montmartre" are really in the Pigalle neighborhood, which is a bit seedy. Pigalle is not especially unsafe, but it's not at all one of the nicer neighborhoods in which to stay. Unless the money you'd save by staying in Montnartre/Pigalle is the difference between going on the trip or not, I'd suggest you look elsewhere (left bank between the river and Montparnasse, or the right bank near the Marais or near the Opera would be the best places).
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 08:07 PM

Janine, you didn't give the name of the hotel you stayed in.

Thanks
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 12:26 AM

My apologies for not mentioning the hotel. The hotel was Hotel Gerando in Rue Gerando. It was fairly basic, but I don't tend to spend that much time in my hotel room while travelling and prefer to put my money towards other things, and found it quite satisfactory.

The first day I arrived there was some confusion with my booking but they found me a tiny little room straight off reception. The next day they moved me to a better room for the remainder of the stay. The rate was only 34.20 euro per night (May '02) for a single with private bathroom, tv, and continental breakfast included, and I booked it through the Busabout site, which from memory uses the hostelworld booking site.

At the end of the day, I guess it depends what you are looking for. If you are a "high-end" traveller, Montmartre is probably not for you. But if you prefer to save a few euro, and are open to a slightly different experience, I would definitely recommend it.