Bologna Hotels & Restaurants

Old Mar 20th, 2003, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bologna Hotels & Restaurants

Heading to Italy's gastronomic capital in a month and looking for some good places to eat as well as sleep - any reccomendations?
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 01:24 PM
Camargiotta

Check out Travel Holiday this mo. for a good article on Bologna restaurants.

Old Mar 20th, 2003, 02:23 PM

Hotel Roma is a nice business hotel (and good for tourists) which is right in the middle of the city. We were there last May. Check it out. Avoid Ristorante Rodrigo - vastly over rated, over salted and overly expensive. Poor value. Also disappointed in Ristorante Diana. Reputation far outstrips reality. We were very happy with some of the smaller "neighborhood" places. Two that come to mind are: Il Doge di Mario [ Via Caldarese 5 ] and Il Portico [ Via A. Righi 11 ]. Not haute haute cuisine but excellent food and value. Good luck. P.S. look into the Museo del Patrimonio Industriale. Not connected with food but a super museum about Bologna: its history and industrial past. May be hard to find but a city bus goes nearby.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 01:02 AM

We stayed in the San Donato - booked through the Best Western chain website.

It's a charming hotel and the location is absolutely perfect. Very central.

We were upgraded to a junior suite with a separate table and seating area and the room was large and spacious.

My only minor negative was that they don't have bathtubs, only showers, in every single room.

But we'd definitely stay there again. That said we did get a really good rate of only 100 Euros on a double room, including breakfast, which I think is excellent for a hotel of that class and location.

We went in January 2003 and when I was researching I couldnt believe how expensive hotels are in Bologna all year round. That said, it is a thriving conference town.

Note that the rate above was a special offer in January so I don't know if it's still available.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 04:20 AM

Kavey, did you ever get to Ferrara on your trip? I'd be curious to hear of our experiences in Bologna. ([email protected])
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 04:21 AM

Ooops, obviously I mean "your" experiences.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 04:54 AM

No Howard I didn't...
I have a real problem with my hips and after walking around for the morning the pain was so intense I had to rest most afternoons. (Yes I'm seeing someone about it
I did return to the thread where everyone gave me advice and report back on the trip.
We didn't do well at all with trips out of Bologna - the planned trip to the Acetaia fell through at the last moment, which was a disappointment, but we did have a wonderful trip.
Howard, drop me an email if you'd like to see photos.
[email protected]
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 07:52 AM

I second the vote for Hotel Roma. Nothing special looking, but clean, comfortable, affordable and you couldn't get a better location.

I had a great meal at Diana, though several here seem to disagree (sometimes just on the sight of it). Quintessential white-jacket old school place but fantastic bollito misto and tagliatelle with ragu bolognese.

My favorite meal, though, was at Trattoria Boni, a real bustling neighborhood place outside the old city, near the soccer stadium. Worth the cab ride.

By the way, even if you don't like basketball, try to catch a game from one of the city's two rabidly supported teams in action. It's an experience.