Reload this Page >

Naxos questions- ferry schedules and hotel comparisons

Old Mar 6th, 2003, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
I'm planning a trip to Athens and Naxos for the first week of May- three of us will be flying into the Athens airport at about 10:30. We'd like to get onto a ferry to Naxos the same day. One of the hotels I emailed told me that the ferries run every day at 8 am and 4:30 pm. Does anyone have any information about the ferry schedule or can point me to a website where I might be able to confirm this info? Anyone have any experiences with unreliability of the ferries,etc?

Second question: We will not have a car in Naxos, and are debating about staying in Agios Prokopios or in Naxos Town. The Hotel Agios Prokopios says that a bus runs every thirty minutes to Naxos town- any opinions on this hotel or the choice between staying outside of the town or in it? We're in our early twenties and definitely want to go out to eat late and catch the nightlife.

We're also looking at Hotel Anixis in Naxos Town- any thoughts?
Thanks so much for any info at all,
Sue
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 05:10 AM

I would stay in Naxos town with out a doubt. When I was in Naxos last August we stayed in Stelida which is just down the beach from Prokopios and we had scooters but some nights found the drive back from town bothersome. Especially since you won't be in Naxos during high season the Prokopios area could be very quiet. But I would certainlty take the bus to Prokopios to go to the beach on some days.
I have not been in the Hotel Agios Prokopios but I saw it and didn't think it looked great from the outside, it stood out in my mind because I too had been looking at that hotel.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 05:16 AM

Have you looked at http://www.greekferries.gr/domestic.htm for ferry info. The timetable seems to be from last year but it will be a good guide and you don't have to worry about buying tickets ahead of time, jsut get them at Pireaus.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 07:24 PM

I agree you would be better off staying in Naxos town. The buses run more frequently during the day, so it is easier to get to the beaches from town than to town and back in the evening. At any rate, you may want to try other beaches than Prokopios, so you will still need the bus. Don't bother booking a hotel before arriving in Naxos. When you get off the ferry, you will be greeted by a horde of hotel owners vying for your business, and are in a position to bargain. They will take you to the hotel, and if you don't like it you are free to turn them down, or to stay one night and then move to something better.

As for ferries, what you are told is about right. There are several ferries leaving Pireaus each day around the 0700 - 0900 period, then there are another group of sailings in the afternoon. The highspeeds take about three hours to Paros, and another 30 min to Naxos. The regular ferries take about twice that long. The bus from the airport to Pireaus takes about 1.5 - 2 hrs, depending on traffic. It arrives at the port near the Cyclades ferries, and there are several ticket agents just across the street from the bus stop.

A couple other references for you are: www.greekislandhopping.com/ and www.ekathimerini.com/. Treat the ferry schedules with a little caution. Greek Island Hopping gives high season schedules, which don't begin until early June. The eKathimerini is the web version of the English language Greek newspaper inserted into the Herald-Tribune newspaper. Click on INFORMATION SERVICES at the top of the page, scroll to TRAVEL, and you will find Ferry Departures. It gives daily ferry schedules, so will be the most current if you go on the website a week before you arrive in Athens. Then pick up a copy for that day's sailings at the Athens airport when you arrive. Ferry schedules are usually reliable, but are subject to change at the last minute, so give yourself some leeway on the way back to Athens.

Old Mar 7th, 2003, 02:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the detailed information, everyone! After living in Belgium for the past 7 months on junior year study abroad, planning trips constantly, i still find myself lost and without a clue frequently!! So your help is much appreciated.

I know we'd probably be fine not booking a hotel, but I like to know what im getting into beforehand. if you all have any hotel recommendations in the cheaper (not more than 65 per night for 3 person room) range I'd love to hear them. Thanks again!
Sue
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 03:44 AM

try www.dolphins.gr and www.bluestarferries.gr These are the sites of the main ferry companies which sail to Naxos. Also try www.yen.gr. This is the site of the division of mercantile marine where you may find posted an accurate and up-to-date weekly schedule. Unfortunately this is only in Greek up to now. FYI today (7/3/2003) there are 5 ferries sailing to Naxos.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 05:29 AM

Try the Argos - you should be able to get a room for under that price in early May. They are located in the St Georges area of Naxos Town, near the beach. If you call ahead, they will meet you at the ferry, otherwise look for an Argos sign held in the air by Apostolos, the owner. Their phone number within Greece is (22850) 25330, but Greek dialing codes have changed recently, so this may not still be correct.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 06:25 PM
bws

We will be taking our fifth trip to Naxos in late May. The first trip we stayed in Naxos town for three nights and three nights at Agia Prokopios. Although the hotel at Prokopios was very nice, there is very limited dining and evening activity there.

The beach is worth visiting during the day and local bus service is inexpensive and frequent, however we agree with the other people who have suggested you stay in town. There is lots of nightlife, shopping and dining. Just trying to find your way around the maze of little streets is worth the trip.

We don't know Hotel Anixis but we always stay at Hotel Glaros, right on St George beach, quiet at night. Quite small, clean family run and less than 40 Euros a night for the Delux room.
Any search engine under Hotel Glaros Naxos Greece will pull up their web site.

Enjoy
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 12:26 PM

I have stayed at both Hotel Argo and Hotel Glaros. I prefer Hotel Argo and I think they were a little cheaper but much the same. Argo has nice studios and a few rooms that you can walk out to on ground level. Studios Panos down the same street is also nice. I would only consider booking if I was arriving on the May 1st weekend.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 08:18 AM

Anyone ever stay at the Porto Naxos hotel? We're scheduled to be there 3 days in July.