Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Emilia-Romagna (Bologna, Ravenna, Castel Guelfo ...)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, all,

Thanks for your previous input on my proposed Italy itineraries. I have now finalized an itinerary outline focused on Northern Italy. Instead of going all the way up to the Lakes from Rome, we're planning the itinerary as follows:

Rome (4 nights)
Southern Tuscany (3 nights)
Cinque Terre (1-2 nights)
Emilia-Romagna (Bologna area and/or Ravenna area 4-5 nights)
Outside Rome airport (1 night)

I am looking for an input readers may have on hotels, restaurants and sights in the Emilia-Romagna region. The hotels I am looking at there include:

Ravenna: Albergo Cappello
Bologna: Hotel Corona d?Oro 1890
Castel Guelfo: Locanda Solarola

Any information on these (or other hotels in the region between Euro 125-200) are appreciated.

Thanks.

John H
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 10:28 AM
ira

topping
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 11:06 AM

Hi John,

We have stayed in a couple of these hotels:

Ravenna, Albergo Cappella - The hotel is situated in the center of Ravenna, just across the street from the covered market. The location is superb. The hotel does not have it's own garage, but there is a garage about a 1 minute walk away that they can direct you to. Our room was #106, Verso il Blu. It was stunning. It had a coffered ceiling, 1 1/2 baths and was decorated with sumptuous fabrics in shades of olive, gold and burgundy. My sister had a standard double and it was wonderful as well. I would probably go for the standard double next time and save some money, with no sacrifice in quality or comfort. The staff were wonderful.

For a fun place to eat, try Ca d Ven. It is a large wine bar and it serves piedina, which is the grilled flatbread of Romagna. You can make a simple meal of piedina, as it can be accompanied with meats, cheese, vegetables, etc. The room in the back is non-smoking.

Bologna, Corona d'Oro - My husband and I have stayed in Bologna many times (15 or 16 I think). The only hotel we have ever stayed in was the Corona. We love the neighborhood, the public rooms and the staff. Our last visit was too long ago, May of 2002. The hotel was closing that December I believe, for renovations. Since I haven't been post-renovation, I can't comment about the rooms now. The Corona has never been cheap and it is probably more expensive now. The same family also runs the Commercianti and the Orologio, both of which are just off Piazza Maggiore. They are probably less expensive.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 12:10 PM

SussanaL how long of a stay would you recommend in Bologna for leisurely travelers who've never been to Bologna? Do you have any suggestions for culinary adventures in the surrounding areas? Any advice is much appreciated. Seems that several Fodorites are planning trips to Emilia Romagna but the available info here is limited. We'd all benefit from advice from a frequent traveler to the area.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 01:39 PM

Hi Marija,

If you want to stay in the center of Bologna, I think 3 nights is just about right for Bologna itself. If you have more time to spend and want to see other cities in E-R, such as Modena, Parma, Ravenna, Ferrara, Reggio, etc., you could stay much longer, use Bologna as a base and day trip very easily to other places via train. If you will have a car, there are lots of places outside of the city center to stay as well.

The area of Brisighella, east of Bologna is a wonderful place to explore if you have a car. Brisighella is in the foothills of the Appenine and is known for the quality of its olive oil. Dozza is the home of the regional enoteca of E-R and is housed in a castle surrounded by a now-drained moat. The walls of the town buildings are covered in murals, the result of a bi-annual art competition. Dozza is about a 40 minute drive from Brisighella.

Between Bologna and Modena is the Villa Gaidello, famous for multiple course dinners, prepared by local women using traditional methods and ingredients. They have apartments there that are very reasonably priced. If you have a car, that would make a good base as well.

You could get a tour with the parmiggiano-reggiano cheese consortium to observe the production of the cheese, visit a balsamico producer in Modena, learn about prosciutto in Parma and explore a castle itinerary in the hills surrounding Parma.

Let me know more about your timelines, car/no car, etc and I'll try to give you more info.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses, SusannaL. Very helpful.

we will have access to acar for our entire trip and would welcome any additional feedback based on that.

Also would you (or any other fodorite) recommend spending the 4-5 nights in one location, or splitting between two (and which two cities or areas)?

John H.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 09:08 PM

SusannaL, where were you when I asked about Bologna? I agree with everyone here that Bologna is pretty cool. My regret is I didn't spend enough time there. I would have loved going to Modena, Parma and Ferrara....

Lilley
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Mic

SusannaR -- I was thinking of spending a night in Brisighella, as a stop-over on my way from Bologna to Urbino. I hear Gigiole (restauant) is fantastic. I would also stop in Dozza, Faenza and Bagno di Romagna while expoloring this area. Do you think Brisighella is a pleasant place to spend the night? Thanks!
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Mic

SusannaR -- I was thinking of spending a night in Brisighella, as a stop-over on my way from Bologna to Urbino. I hear Gigiole (restaurant) is fantastic. I would also stop in Dozza, Faenza and Bagno di Romagna while expoloring this area. Do you think Brisighella is a pleasant place to spend the night? Thanks!