Boat tours in Prague?

Mar 26th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Boat tours in Prague?

Anybody done one of the boat tours down the Vltava in Prague? If so, are they worth it (do you get to see much?), and if so, do you have any tour operators to suggest? We will be there in May, and thought it sounded fun.
Mar 26th, 2007, 09:46 AM

Don't do it!
I just did it a couple of weeks ago and it was a massive waste of time. It's boring and you just listen to a canned recording in 6 (!) languages repeating simple phases with little or no useful information. Example: "on the right is the government building". It was an excruciating hour.
You can read what I wrote about it on my blog:
http://www.wired2theworld.blogspot.com
Read the entry called "4 words".
Just simply walking around Prague with a guidebook is enjoyable.
Mar 26th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Kristina. I enjoyed reading a bit of your blog; have bookmarked it to come back to when I have more time. I briefly read your notes on your hotel and wondered if you would recommend the Hotel Palace Prague. Also, did you ever wind up having your meal for two in the restaurant? I didn't know where to look in your blog for that. Thanks-my husband and I will be in Prague at the end of May for 3 nights for our 10th wedding anniversary, and I have yet to book a hotel...yikes
Mar 26th, 2007, 11:04 AM
kja

I enjoyed the hour I spent on such a tour. It wasn't particularly informative, but I thought it was nice to see some spectacular views while relaxing on the boat. Hope that helps!
Mar 26th, 2007, 11:21 AM

Hi Amy, The Palace Praha is a grand hotel, didn't they just renovate most of it? Last visit I stayed at the slick modern Josef; I walked around the Palace and peeked into the windows and remember wishing I was staying THERE. I think it's an excellent choice for your 10th, get a suite if you can, what the hell. There's a chocolates shop around there, and a nice cafe, the whole city is romantic and sweet and the Palace is well-located. Of course there's all style of hotel there, you decide! Look at www.praguewalks.com for some touring info.
Mar 26th, 2007, 11:25 AM

Amy-
We did have our dinner in the hotel, on our last night there. I've yet to post the last day, so that will be coming soon.
The dinner was good and the service was excellent. If I'd had to pay for it apart from the package, it would have been almost 200 euros and I don't think it would have been worth it.
The hotel itself was lovely, perhaps over priced if paying rack rates, but a fantastic deal with the package we bought.
If I were to go back, I might select an even smaller "boutique" hotel right in the center or on the palace side of the river.
Mar 26th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

How does luxurylink.com work? Are the savings significant? I have never used that website~don't know anything about it. Thanks for the replies...
Mar 26th, 2007, 05:09 PM

Amy-
I've bought a few packages on Luxurylink over the years. They can be a very good deal, but you have to do your homework.
Look at what the package offers then go to the hotel's own website and see if they offer a similar package or price things out a la carte. Sometimes there's little savings on LL, sometimes it's a lot.
What's nice is their packages usually include breakfast and all taxes which in some places can add a lot on.
In the case of out package in Prague, I think it was a significant value-we spent $820 total for 4 nights there (3 of which were in a Junior Suite) with all sorts of extras including the dinner, tour, museum tickets, extra little gifts, etc.). I don't think we could have had 4 nights there in a regular room for that.
But again, it pays to do your homework. I've seen packages on LL which are not such a good deal.
And yes, it is an auction site, so you have to stay on top of things if you bid-unlike on ebay, you can be outbid and I don't think you can put in your highest price and then have it re-bid for you. They also have regular "buy" packages, but these rarely seem to be a good deal.