Blue Guide Paris/Versailles 2001

Aug 11th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Blue Guide Paris/Versailles 2001

Hi all,

Preparing for my first trip to Paris and as a Blue Guide addict I went in search of the Paris/Versailles volume. Searching the net and numerous libraries, I find that the most recent edition appears to be 2001 (10th edition), and I can't find any information on potential updates. (Given the popularity of Paris this surprised me! Does anyone know about proposed updates?)

Anyway the main question: has anyone recently (2005-2006) traveled to Paris with the 2001 edition, and if so, what were your thoughts? Too out of date to be of much use at this point, especially for musuem layouts? Still useful for architecture and walks? (I won't be using it for hotels, restaurants, logistics, etc. so I don't care if it's out of date on that.)

Thanks all!
Oct 4th, 2006, 03:46 PM

I was going to post the same question, but did a search and found this thread from August.

I went on the site, blueguides.com and saw that they were purchased by Sommerset in 2004. The only guide that they have published so far, is Northern Italy 2005, with others due in the future. They will be revamping the old style but will (according to them) keep the feeling of the old guides.

I emailed them in London asking if there is a publication date for the 11th Paris edition.

On their site they have a page about the history of the Blue Guides and various other travel guides, going back to the 1800's. It shows how along the way they gobbled up each other and became Blue Guides. It was interesting. I can't get the url to work or I would post it here.

I'll let you know when they respond about the next Paris edition.

Any one else use Blue Guides, od or newer?

Nina
Oct 4th, 2006, 03:50 PM

I would imagine it will be just fine...the architecture is pretty much the same, no? And how much could museum layouts have changed in a few years? I am bringing my green Michelin from about 15 years ago!
Oct 4th, 2006, 05:53 PM

I'm with you on that one eskcrunchy .. I take our green Michelin that only a few years newer than yours'. We wouldn't leave home without our 1992 Michelin Paris Plan. Same streets, and only one new metro line. I haven't bought a new guide book in probably six years, but I do love to check them out. I don't use them for hotels or restaurants, so it doesn't make that much difference. I am just curious to see what the new Blue Guide owners have done to update them.

I love to sit in Borders or Barnes and Noble, with a cup of tea and a sweet, checking out the latest books on Paris - or French cookbooks, or wherever.
Nice way to spend a few hours and costs practically nothing, unless I buy something - which is rare, because I save $$ buying from Amazon, even though I feel guilty doing it. Pretty soon there will be no more independant book sellers and I feel partially to blame.

I do shop at independant stores too, but not as often as I should.

Nina
Oct 4th, 2006, 08:07 PM

I haven't used the Blue Guide for Paris, but all of the large museums where you might want a layout (eg, Louvre, Orsay), give you a detailed guide/map when you enter, so I don't see why it would be necessary myself.
Oct 4th, 2006, 10:23 PM

Of course it isn't necessary to buy a guide book for museum layouts. I just want to look at the darn book. I enjoy reading guidebooks - but I rarely if ever buy them.

Nina
Oct 4th, 2006, 10:36 PM

I should have said that I rarely buy guide books unless it is the first time that I have been to a large city. Even then, I don't rely on it for restaurants and hotels - too many 'personal' resources like right here.

After many many trips to Paris and having shelves filled with almost every guidebook/book written about Paris, there hasn't been a need to in many years. That's not going to stop me from looking at new ones.

IMHO, they are a necessity for first timers like the OP. Nothing wrong with wanting to know about your destination and having a guide to use while you are there.

Nina
Oct 5th, 2006, 05:14 AM

FYI .... I just received an email response from Blue Guides. The next edition of the Paris guide will be published in Spring of 2007. No more hard covers, all will be soft covers.

Nina