Christmas Market

Oct 4th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Christmas Market

I am trying to decide whether to spend 3 nights in Heidelberg or Cologne to enjoy the Christmas Market scene in Germany before heading to Paris for 5 nights. Can anyone compare these two cities and markets? I've been to the big cities in Germany before (Munich, Frankfurt & Berlin) but my husband has never been there. Thanks!
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:03 AM

The market in Heidelberg is very good. Probably not enough to occupy you for three days, though. However, the one in nearby Mannheim is very big. Last year - they had live music, as well. (I'm not sure if they do it every year, but I would imagine they do). I've been to Cologne, but not for the markets - it's also a very charming town. Heidelberg wins for me, hands down, every time.
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:11 AM

I was there last christmas, I thought that Cologne's market was smaller than others in Germany. That being said its a very beautiful town and the Dom is not to be missed.
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the helpful insight! The train to Paris goes through Mannheim so we might try to see that one as well - per your suggestion! I think a smaller town (Heidelberg) might be nice as a contrast to Paris. I would like to see the Cathedral in Cologne so that is a draw there but maybe for another time.
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:56 AM

I hope you enjoy - I'll be there again this year for sure!
Oct 5th, 2006, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone been to the Christmas Market in Aachen? It looks like an easy day trip from Cologne. Advice?
Oct 5th, 2006, 05:19 AM

I was at the Aachen market about 15 years ago -- it was pretty large.

I liked the one in Monschau, not too far from Aachen. It's smaller but has great ambiance.