Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Eurostar: Selecting Country of Residence and resulting price differences -- HELP, please!!!

Eurostar: Selecting Country of Residence and resulting price differences -- HELP, please!!!

Old Oct 5th, 2006, 02:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

When I visited the eurostar.com site, it asks for your country of residence. I chose U.S. and checked fares for a weekend trip. Then, I went ahead and played around and chose France as my country of residence (it is for three months , and the fares were lower for the same dates and times.

I didn't go further into logging in and purchasing yet so I was just wondering if it matters which country you choose? Obviously, I'd like to get the cheaper fare but when you go on to purchase the tickets, will it ask for passport info or anything that would stop me from getting the ticket
as a "french resident"???

HELP, please!!!
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 02:16 AM
Original Poster

Oh, just wanted to add that yes, I realize that the U.S. site is quoted in dollars while the French site is in euros. I converted into dollars and the French quote was still cheaper.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 02:55 AM

They won't send the tickets to an address outside France. Presumably you could pick them up from them in France or have them sent to a French address.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 03:19 AM

Use whichever country is cheapest & collect the tickets at the station.

There's no passport requirement - and lots of Americans with American CC's do live in France legally, so it isn't a problem

Check the SNCF website BTW as sometimes their fares are even cheaper
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I am planning to pick up the tickets at the train station here in Paris FROM a station agent/kiosk since the website says that you can't use non-French credit cards on the automated machines to redeem tickets.

Thanks again!
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 04:30 AM

Or if you are staying in Paris for a few days before you take the train, pick the tickets up at any SNCF boutique , located all over the city, then you avoid the lines at the train station.