Best Paris Travel Books?

Search

Best Paris Travel Books?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2003, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Paris Travel Books?

I will be travelling to Paris this spring, in your opinion what is the best Paris Travel Book to take.

Thanks.
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 03:16 PM

I give you my 2-cent opinion, even though I know there are better and more complete guides around: If you are really really interested in history and architecture and all these details, I think the Blue Guides are the best. I have bought thorugh Amazon.com The Blue Guide Paris (the edition which is about 1600 pages) and it gives you so many info about art, history, monuments, architectural styles. I also have the Lonely Planet and the one of the Italian Touring Club which is very good, but not as complete as the Blue Guides.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 08:34 AM

If you're going to the Louvre and/or Versailles, get Rick Steves' "Mona Winks," a great guide to the high points of the world's greatest museums.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 08:54 AM

Lonely Planet is great for practical info, and I found the maps very useful. I like the thick texture of the pages, and you can easily backbend the book. It's an excellent guide for navigating your way through the city.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 08:59 AM

Hi
To offer another viewpoint, I don't think much of Mona Winks, for me it sacrifices information for attempts at humor.
Fodor's pocket-sized guide for Paris is great, so is the more complete Fodor's guide to Paris. The Michelin Green guide gives lots of info on museums, architecture, and history, and imo is less dry than the Blue Guide.

I am luckiy to have been to Paris a number of times; I still don't go without the Paris Mapguide (thin booklet, combines maps with very basic sightseeing info) and the Streetwise Paris map.

All of that said, you need to go to a bookstore and browse. Try looking up the same one or two topics (the Louvre, for example) in many different books, and see which style of info appeals to you.

I have a file on Paris; if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 09:22 AM

I don't think any one book can do the job of describing Paris. I have 4 on my shelves, and I don't have more because I decided that four was all I was going to buy. I have looked at many more. The Blue Guide is probably the best, even if I don't own a copy.

I have not, however, run out of things to do by following these publications: Let's Go Paris, Fodors Paris Guide, the Michelin Green Guide, and surprisingly Lonely Planet.
Each has something to offer that the others do not.

I also scan these forum postings as well because the originality of many of the ideas is very valuable. Before taking my first trip in over 40 years the advice I received here was essential in planning a trip that kept us interested and fascinated the whole time we were there.

I also have Rick Steves guide, but I am forced to the conclusion that his books have quick information that sometimes lacks thoroughness. Unfortunately, his appeal to the superficial visitor is profitable and it does convey many essentials. Some people only want a 12 item highlight tour of the Louvre.
And Rick's plan gets you in and out without getting lost.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 09:41 AM

I will never trust a Rick Steves guide. Flipping through his Paris guide at a bookstore, I saw his recommendation to skip the Pantheon, it is cold and boring and of no interest whatsoever. I happen to really like the Pantheon, so I know that Steve's priorities don't jibe with mine. I personally wouldn't want to rely on his sightseeing advice.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 10:22 AM

The Avant Guide to Paris is fun and quite, well, avant without being annoying. Some of the writing and insight are hilarious, and it's a fresh look at the city. For the under 40s especially, it's a great one!
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 10:30 AM

I don't think there is any one answer, as it depends a lot on what you want to use a guidebook for and your personal preferences for content and style.

I think Frommers is the best general all-around city guidebook cities. I haven't used Lonely Planet that much, however, and dislike Rick Steves a lot as a city guidebook, although he may have general travel advice for neophytes. Eyewitness Guides are not too bad for sightseeing and history but I think they are bad for hotels/restaurants, daytrips and most everything else, plus are heavy.

I think the Michelin Green guides have good detail on sites and are easier for me to use than Blue Guides. I think they are not as easy to use as they used to be, however, as they changed them around some so everything is listed alphabetically (sometimes neighborhoods are even alphabetical, other times you have to look for a landmark) and you have to know what you are looking for. They used to be organized by neighborhoods more. I don't like the newer version as much.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 12:15 PM

Minya, since these books have gotten quite pricey and since you have plenty of time to research, let me offer a tip I use all the time.

Go to your local public library and check out a whole bunch of different Paris guides. Peruse and compare them at your leisure. Although they will not be this year's edition, you will get a good sense of which books you like and which are easiest for you to follow, organized in a way that works for you, contain the sort of info you are most interested in, etc. Then you can buy the current edition of a couple that you like best.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 06:21 PM

The best guide book may well depend on your specific interests and what you hope to do in Paris. Browsing through a number of guide books at your local bookstore or library is good advice. One book not previously mentioned that I've found consistently reliable is Time Out Paris. It covers a lot of territory and is updated annually.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 06:32 PM

Hi Minya,

There is no "one" best guide to Paris. I have 13 Paris guidebooks and supplement the information in these with library books and the valuable contributions from this forum.

The only one I'm sorry I spent money on is the Rick Steves since his book is not comprehensive - it goes into detail only on parts of Paris and omits lots of good information on the city.

Old Oct 5th, 2003, 07:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Other than the old American Express guide to Paris, which isn't printed anymore, the only guidebook that seems to fit my lifestyle and interests and has information that none of the others seems to is Time Out. That and my Paris Plan, and I'm all set!
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 11:07 PM

Another vote for Time Out, although I think the most recent editions are not as good as the one from about two years ago. I noticed they had cut back on the number of hotel, restaurant and cafe recommendations and I don't think it's because they've gotten choosier.
I would go with Time Out and also the Eyewitness Guide. The Eyewitness Guide has by far the most photos and great in-depth, easy to follow information on the main tourist sights.
Then, of course, you have all the specialty tourist guides. For example, we like Impressionist Paris, which is devoted to Impressionist paintings in and around Paris. You see a copy of the painting on one page with a detailed description of the scene, then a photo showing how the same scene currently looks, with text describing how things have changed, what's gone, what's new, etc. There are also guidebooks to walking in Paris or gardens in Paris. Whatever your interest is, there is a guidebook about it.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 05:29 AM

We like the Green Guide particularly for planning museum strategies. And the DK EyeWitness Guides are quite good. Of course, a Paris par Arrondisement is a necessity. When we return I am going to get the Michael Middleditch guide particularly for the bus maps.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 05:46 AM

As Gretchen says, the Paris Mapguide is very valuable if you want to use the buses. There are not bus maps per se, but notations as to the route numbers. There are various route map booklets available. I like the pocket sized "Le Bus."
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 06:01 AM
susancoleman

I really enjoy how "D/K Eyewitness Travel Guides" guides. I have Paris, will buy where ever else I need...
The books breaks down subjects very clearly and concise.

Old Oct 6th, 2003, 06:53 AM

I realy like the Knopf City Map Guides Paris the city in section by section fold out maps .includes mini guide for all sections. and train ,metro and bus maps.very small,light weight .map/guide book .

Old Oct 6th, 2003, 06:57 AM

x
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 08:59 AM

I love the Dorling guides and also find the Time Out guides to be a great help. I also always carry both the Fodors and Frommers which have much of the same info, but I am obsessive and often cross refernece the reccomendations in all the guides as they can vary quite a bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -