blue grotto

Old Mar 8th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blue grotto

Has anyone visited the Blue Grotto?
Want to take hydrofoil to Capri from Sorrento
Any ideas on cost and how to go about doing this?

Thanks Kathy
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 09:25 AM

Yes.

You take the hydrofoil to Sorrento and at the dock will be motor launches that take people (perhaps 25/30 per launch) out to the grotto.

But, you need to be aware of a couple of things:

If the water is at all rought you can't get in at all, since the opening is too small

You need to transfer from the launch to a row boat (4 passengers plus oarsman) to get through the opening

You have to lie down in the boat and keep arms inside to avoid being injured on the very small rocky opening

After rowing around the Grotto for about 5 minutes you go back out and need to transfer from the row boat to the launch. This involved standing on the seat of the boat ad stepping up over the side of the launch onto the seat. I had no problem, but I'm 5'9". We had a petite older woman in the row boat with us and she had to be pushed/hauled rom the row boat to the launch - since her legs were much too short to do the climb.

An alternative it to take land transport to near the grott and climb down a set of stairs, boarding the row bot at the bottom. Didn't do this so don;t know the details.

Capri is wonderful - esp if yuo stay overnight - but definitely don't go just for the Blue Grotto.

Have no idea of the cost - wasn't much,
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for great info
I did not know about the land transport to the grotto
does anyone know if I go this route
then do I line up for a rowboat
Any ideas on this option
Kathy
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 07:44 PM

Kathy,

Cost is relative I know, but to me it felt like we were putting our hands in our pockets a lot to see the Blue Grotto. Don't get me wrong I thought it was worth it, but each time you change boats there seems to be another 10euro charge. Plus the optional extra to get a song in the Blue grotto for another few euro. Muliplied for our party of five it was an expensive couple of minutes. But like I said still worth it IMO.

Bear in mind that whichever way you go, there will be a wait to get into the row boats that take you into the Blue Grotto. If you have taken the launch then you will be sitting on this bobbing on the water. Just consider that if you get seasick in these circumstances.

Capri is wonderful. We equally enjoyed the chairlift at Anacapri for the fabulous views.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 05:41 AM

You can get there by land as well. From Sorrento, take the hydrofoil to Capri. At the Marina Grande in Capri, you can take either a local bus or a taxi to Anacapri. Local bus is about 4 euro, taxi about 20 euro but the problem with the bus is the wait... it can take awhile since they are small and, especially after a hydrofoil lands, the line gets long. You might have to wait through 2-3 of them which can easily be 45 mins - 1 hour. A taxi will easily hold 4 people so if you find someone to split cost with, it's a lot easier and much more comfortable.

From Anacapri, you then catch another small local bus from the central area of Anacapri down to the grotto. There, you walk down a fair amount of steps and line up to get in a row boat and into the grotto... no boat transfers required.

It's really not that bad of a trip unless the bus line is long between the Marina Grande and Anacapri. We waited 45 mins to ride the bus to Anacapri (this was last April) but found another couple (waiting in the bus line) and split the taxi cost for the return.

Some notes.

Anacapri is a nice visit while you're there and the chair lift up Mt. Solaro is really worth the time. Great views from the top (especially on a clear day) and a nice small cafe while up there.

I'll also 2nd aussiefive... a lot of "extra' tipping was expected... taking your picture, a song, etc. Make sure you have lots of small bills because of course they won't have change.

Also remember that there will be other boats inside while you are so don't expect a nice private moment or some really great photo opportunity. There were a fair amount of flashes going off and it was hard to get a shot without another row boat in the shot.

Enjoy!
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

xo
Gracias for all the great info!!
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 04:38 PM
P_M

Good luck, I've been to Capri twice and both times I was unable to get in due to tides. Be sure to have a good Plan B in case you have my rotten luck. Bon Voyage.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 05:12 PM

bookmarking
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 05:34 PM

Viewing the Blue Grotto seemed like much ado (and time) about something that was marginal at best. JMHO. Others may disagree.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 06:09 PM

If you catch a boat from the marina you have a nice view of the island while you are traveling to the grotto. I thought it was fun and so typically Italian but you have to be in the right frame of mind.