Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Early Planning Stage for summer vacation to Prague/Croatia

Old Mar 5th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are just beginning to plan our summer vacation to Europe and can't seem to settle
on destination cities. We're considering Prague, Austria, Germany or Poland, Prague,
Croatia. We are a family of 3, son is age 16, and we will travel in mid June for approx.
10-12 days. We love to move around, see everything, experience new cultures, so we are used to being on the go and living out of suitcases.

Does anyone have any thoughts or past experiences they can give to perhaps guide our
decision?? Any help is much appreciated.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 10:11 AM

In that time I would have 3 destinations max. Prague deserves 4 days, Vienna 3, and the Salzburg area at least 4. Then, fly home from Munich. Croatia would take at least 10 days by itself. Have fun !
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 10:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi; Bob has it in the right order. Fly into Prague and out of Munich. Plus not too many moves. Very easy to take trains between between these three ciries. One thing you could consider, is staying in Munich for the last night. It would be convienent to the Munich airport. Good download for Prague is www.inyourpocket.com Click your city and then 'instant'. iris1745/dick P.S. You can find good info on Poland at 'in your pocket'.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 02:39 PM

I also agree, Croatia needs more time than just a few days. We were just there and even with almost 20 days there was much we didn't see and much of the coast we never got to. My personal preference would actually be Vienna 4 and Salzburg 3, but that is just me. Also, public transportation to the Munich airport is really easy and efficient. They also have luggage lockers if you want to drop your luggage and mill around for the day. Have a great time planning! Shirley
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 03:40 PM
jgg

We did a trip last June with our kids (ages 12 and 16) to Munich, Prague and Salzburg. We also traveled with my parents and it was a fabulous trip. Here is the link to my trip report that you may find helpful:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ia-bretzen.cfm
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your suggestions, they are wonderful!
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 06:25 PM

HI A few years back I took the train from Prague to Krakow and it was a great experience. I got my train ticket in Prague at a travel agency (that someone on this forum mentioned )who
spoke English. The train arrives in Krakow very near the Old Town and room rates were
very reasonable. There is so much to see: Have a great trip.