"Blending" in Prague

Jun 4th, 2003, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

"Blending" in Prague

I'm looking into a teaching internship in Prague and it's occurred to me that, in my travels, I've visited places where I tended to blend. I'm Arabic and have dark features, and I've been to Italy, Spain, Greece, and the Middle East. Before locals here me speak, they tend to think I'm from the area.

I mention this because I wonder what my experiences would be like living for an extended period in Prague. I've never been although I've always wanted to go. My impression is that it's a fairly cosmopolitan city, so even though I don't look Czech, I probably wouldn't stick out. Am I assuming too much?
Jun 4th, 2003, 08:27 PM
rex

Probably worth your while to "check" out expatriate life on http://www.expats.cz - - among other sites. That one has something like 3000 registered members; if you go methodically, you may be able to find some who have an Arabic-sounding names, and there is the oportunity to e-mail people who are registered on that site.

Best wishes,

Rex
Jun 5th, 2003, 03:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Rex. It never ceases to amaze me that there is indeed a forum for EVERYTHING.
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:20 AM
rex

You're welcome.
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:59 AM
Bootman4U

I find this subject of "blending in" fascinating since the more usual subject seems to be women asking what clothes to wear when they travel in Europe so they will blend in. I just returned from two weeks in Europe and I purposely took a good hard look at everyone I saw with this idea of blending in mind.
My very unscientific conclusions are as follows:

First, some people would ask why anyone would even try to "blend in" and submerge their own unique identity when traveling.
Second, I am even more amused than ever when I see answers to the "What should I wear questions" that include recommendations for women to "wear Capri pants..." from what I saw in Italy, France, and Germany, if you want to really STAND OUT go ahead and wear capri pants.
Thirdly, forget the stuff about not wearing baseball caps...for men particularly it will be their definitely non-European shoe styles that will give them away.

In terms your "dark" features..I'm not sure that's necessarily going to help a whole lot in somewhat "pasty complexion" Prague...I do think you'll have even better luck if you adjust your wardrobe accordingly, however.

Jun 5th, 2003, 09:52 AM

well, I was waiting to see if you got responses from local residents or something, as they might be most pertinent, but I've been there a couples times for several weeks and have a friend who lived there a year, so these are my thoughts.

There are certainly many ethnicities and nationalities of people in Prague, being a popular city for business, expats, new ventures, etc. There is indeed an Arab community in Prague, although I don't think it's super-big. There are, of course, other ethnicities who are not fair-haired or skinned. oThere are a lot of Turks in Germany, although I don't think they are a big tourist contingent in Germany -- there are certainly some Turks there, as well as Greeks and even Iraqis and Lebanese and Moroccan. One of my favorite restaurant/cafes in Prague is run by guys who I think are Middle Eastern (French as maternal language, because I speak French to them) or N. African. There are lots of Italians who go there as tourists. There is also a very large gypsy community in Czech Republic (and the only place I've seen a restaurant with Romany cuisine, named Gitanes)--not that I think you would be mistaken for one. There are some Middle Eastern and Greek restaurants I've noticed in Prague. The most ethnic restaurants there seem to be French and Italian, then maybe Greek and Indian (cursory view, I like Greek and Indian food a lot so notice them, but some Greek ones in Prague need improvement).

I don't think Italians, Spanish, Greeks and Arabs look that much alike myself, but I guess you never know. So, I guess I would say that no one is going to think you are of Czech ancestry, I doubt, so you are not going to blend in that way. YOu probably will stick out some in that you are not going to look like the majority and they'll know you aren't Czech. However, you are not going to be such an unusual sight that this should cause problems or shock or extreme notice. Actually, my friend who lived there a year was Italian with quite dark coloring and he never even mentioned that. He had some teaching job also, teaching economics out in some little town somewhere (which was boring, he preferred Prague).
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Christina. That was helpful. Since I might be there for an extended period without ever having visited, I just wanted to get a sense of what I might be in for. I don't mind sticking out a little but don't want to be a housefly in a glass of milk.
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:10 AM
jor

Great news! Nearly everyone in Prague these days is a tourist. You will fit right in!!!
Jun 5th, 2003, 11:12 AM
jor

Vita, I think I may know you. Did you travel in Ireland in the summer of 2000? I met a Vita who used to work for Contiki. Let me know. I will reply with the email address you gave me.
Jun 5th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Alas, jor. I have never been to Ireland - not yet anyway.