Caps in Europe

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 07:14 AM
Thomas

Caps in Europe

I read many here disapprove of wearing baseball type caps in Europe. Is it really such a fashion faux paus? Indeed, what type of hats, if any, might fashionable European men, dressing casual on vacation, wear in, say, Venice or Prague?

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 07:29 AM
Grasshopper

Baseball caps aren't really terrible but they make you look very American (and you might say "who cares&quot. Obviously you will use good judgement and not wear a cap indoors where you wouldn't wear them at home either (ie restaurants, etc.) But if you want to wear what the men in Venice or Prague are wearing why not wait til you get there and buy what you see? They will make great souveniers!

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Thomas

Thanks, Grasshopper. Just curious whether any Fodorites have been to these locales lately and can fill me in so I can have fun preparing in advance.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 09:05 AM
Barbara

I suppose it depends on where you travel but baseball type caps are very in fashion here in the south of France. The young kids wear them and this morning I noticed that the train workers in the station are now wearing red ones as part of their work outfit.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 09:05 AM
Bill

In June, we saw many German males with baseball caps--Yankees caps in various colors were very popular. Older German males also wore baseball-style caps, but plain, without logos.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 09:38 AM
Thomas

I thought so. Can't imagine that this type of hat is really so uniquely American.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 09:44 AM
Patrick

I'm not much of a hat wearer, but I can't help noticing everywhere I've been in Europe the most popular type hat with guys -- particularly those under about 40 is a baseball cap. They are everywhere. Who started this rumor about them making you look American?? Probably the same person who keeps pretending that Europeans (especially guys) don't wear running, tennis, or cross trainers.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 09:45 AM
tommy

I always find the reaction to baseball caps on this site a little strange. I have always found them to be the perfect travelling hat, as they fit snugly and won't blow off your head except on the windiest of days, they keep the sun or rain out of your eyes, are cheap and expendable, and can be squished in a suitcase or carryon. Just remember to remove it when indoors, especially at the table.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 09:52 AM
Christina

I disapprove of baseball caps anywhere, unless you are playing some sport or less than 12 years old. They are dumb-looking on any grown man, but particularly older men. I just think they are one of the ugliest fashion trends that ever appeared, although they are mainly for young boys, even then. Adults look idiotic in these caps and I have never known anyone with taste and good fashion sense who wears one except in very casual situations. Look at who wears them a lot -- teenage boys who dress sloppily and look terrible.<BR><BR>Go to any decent men's store that has a good hat selection and you can find fashionable, tasteful men's caps or hats. There are nice wool caps with a slight brim in front that are not skullcap-tight like baseball caps (and the visor isn't as big)--I've seen these called &quot;newsboy&quot; caps, some good ones are Italian-made, although they've always seemed English to me. There are also Kangol caps and you can't go wrong with them, although that is more for cool or cold weather. <BR><BR>I've also seen men with brimmed hats with a crown, more regular fedora-style, who look very fashionable (these are not super formal dress hats, but a casual felt turn-down brim hat). There are a lot of casual felt men's hats, sort of Indiana Jones or Outback feel.<BR><BR> Basque berets are very attractive and more substantial than French berets, as well as Greek caps.<BR><BR>You can find plenty of nice stylish men's caps and hats if you go to a good shop or just type a few words into Google, I'm sure.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 09:53 AM
AR

Nobody objects to baseball hats these days, especially as you NEVER see a racing driver without one, and Formula 1 is very big in Europe (epecially Michael Scummacher). In hot places, real people wear them (as opposed to old people's hats!). In Britain, hats are rarely worn because of the rain! (although you used to see sad wooly hats 20 years ago).<BR>You are unlikely to see beyond the tourists in places such as Venice so dont worry. Also, the Italians will love you if you wear a Ferrari &quot;baseball&quot; hat!

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 09:55 AM
xxx

Thank God Christina doesn't have strong opinions.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 09:55 AM
AR

Sorry - slip of the keyboard. That should be Michael Schumacher!

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 09:58 AM
get

Knowing that you disapprove so strongly ,christina, about baseball caps. Tell us what it is about berets and fedora style caps that seem to lower your threshold for climax. I'm sure!

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 10:03 AM
xxx

Christina I admire an old fashioned girl who believes in old fashioned fashion statements. I appreciate the fact that you don't like what is the current fashion statement for younger men -- baseball hats, but most of us don't like dressing like we're still living in the 1950's. I'm just curious. Do you also refuse to wear modern women's styles and still dress in 1950's clothes, or is your prejudice simply towards men's fashions?

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 10:05 AM
Gerry K

After reading countless posts on this site condemning the wearing of baseball caps in Europe, I decided to leave mine home, and even went out and purchased a &quot;more appropriate&quot; hat. And just as I was disembarking from my KLM flight in Amsterdam, a large troupe of KLM employees walked by me, all wearing KLM baseball caps. 'nuf said.<BR><BR>(mr) Gerry K

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 10:09 AM
Hattie

Frankly, I think berets usually look goofy on men, unless the men are from France or the Basque regions. But I also don't think my personal taste dictates what others can or can't do. <BR><BR>The reality is that lots of men in Europe as well as in the United States do wear baseball caps, like it or not.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Patrick

I guess the bottom line is that Thomas didn't ask if people find baseball hats attractive or not. He only wanted to know if others besides Americans wore them casually in Europe. The answer to that question is undoubtedly YES!

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 02:06 PM
xxx

<BR><BR>Thomas, I'm sure some may disagree with me but I don't think &quot;fashionable&quot; European men on vacation in Venice or Prague would likely wear any hats or caps. <BR><BR>I think wearing baseball type caps is still a more American thing, but European men do wear them. <BR><BR>To me, the main fashion faux pas with baseball type caps isn't wearing them; it's wearing them backwards.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 04:53 PM
x

Christina is right and so is xxx. European men usually don't wear anything on their heads, and certainly not baseball caps.