Search

Jeans?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeans?

We are thinking of wearing jeans in flight to Brussels this week, but don't want to be the tacky, touristy ugly Americans on the plane or especially when we train into the city upon arrival. Taking them for comfort and nights back at hotels, B&Bs, not to do our site-seeing. Anyone have any thoughts about jeans on young 60s in Europe?? Thanks.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 10:35 AM

I live in Europe and wear jeans all the time. Black jeans look better than blue jeans I think.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 10:36 AM

Jeans are very much in fashion in Europe. If your jeans look good on you and you are comfortable in them, then go ahead and wear them.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 10:40 AM
ira

Hi V,

>..don't want to be the tacky, touristy ugly Americans on the plane or especially when we train into the city upon arrival.<

She should wear a travelling suit, hat with small brim and veil, gloves, short heeled shoes and stockings.

He should wear a dark blue double-breasted blazer with dark grey trousers, a white shirt, rep tie, black over-the-calf hose, brown wing-tipped Oxfords. Cuff links are optional.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 11:02 AM

Ira,

You just described the attire my now 82-year-old parents used to wear on their first trips to Europe! Thanks for the laugh!!
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 11:07 AM

Yes, "once upon a time" you dressed to fly!! It was not that long ago, either!! Now you can't tell if they are going to mow the yard or get on a plane!
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Hilarious, Ira! Thank you. It took me back to the first time I ever flew when I did indeed wear hat, dress and heels ala Jackie Kennedy ;-)

Thanks for the nods on the jeans.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 01:16 PM
sandi

You're going to look like an American regardless. Wear what you want. It's just that jeans are probably the most uncomfortable item to wear on flights... too restricting. Have fun!

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 01:50 PM
tmh

I agree with Sandi - not the most comfortable to fly in. I always seem to expand on those long flights therefore have pants with -gasp- some stretch in the waistband.

We also try to limit the weight of our baggage as it will be us toting it around and wherever we can spare extra oz. we do. Jeans seem to be heavier than clothes we've gotten from TravelSMith
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 01:54 PM

yep never wear jeans on flight not very confotable and they stretch while your sitting down and then look all baggy, around the bum, thighs and knees. Leave the jeans packed and wear something more confortable and loose.er
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 01:56 PM

In my three trips to Europe last year, I did not see many people wearing jeans, except for some flakes (my apologies to beaupeep) in Italy.

I find that I get better service and attention at the airport and at restaurants when I wear simple pants and a sports coat. I know that travel has gotten more casual, and that the summer becomes Greyhound season, but I don't believe in the lowest common denominator theory.

You can always tell when summer is here when someone gets on the plane carrying a plastic pink flamingo (sometimes I want to take pictures as people don't believe me - sort of Jon Waters-esque).

I Dress as a polite visitor to the country I go to, and this has served me well, particularly in service personnel response. I'm already tagged as an American, so why wouldn't I try to show the better side of America?
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 01:59 PM

Jeans are heavy, sweaty when hot, cold when wet and are a pain to wash & dry.

Several good reasons to leave them at home
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Everyone wears jeans while traveling on the plane AND while sightseeing, not just Americans.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 02:02 PM

By all means, wear jeans on the flight if you are comfortable in them. The fact that you are even questioning it tells me that you will probably look better than many of your fellow passengers.

The only thing I would suggest is not wearing a belt. One more thing to take off at security. You can always have one in your carry-on for when you arrive.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 02:20 PM

But no one really cares about how you look it is how you feel that matters. If you want to wear jeans then take them you will not look out of place, lots of people not just americains were jeanson trips.I just think you should pack them instead iod wearing them on flight. You will feel more comfortable an dthe jeans will look better, as they will not be all baggy from sitting on a long flight. At the end of the day it is want you wnat to do that really matters not what any of use here think. We can only offer practical advsie and not tell you hwow you should dress.

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 02:36 PM

If you like jeans and look good in them, wear them! Denim comes in different weights, so that doesn't have to hold you back. Also, 97Cotton/3Lycra will insure a baggy-free bottom and knees, and you won't have to have the dreaded Elastic Waistband.

Who is Jeremy Clarkson...oh wait, I see the black jeans. What is that hanging over his belt, or is the photo just fuzzy. Let's see he's pushing 50, combing the hair forward, etc. Are you saying jeans might not be appropriate for all ages? lol
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 03:01 PM

Wear your jeans. I always wear black stretch jeans to fly in and find they are quite comfortable. I was in Paris last November and there were jeans everywhere and worn by all kinds of people, including some mom's out shopping with their daughters at the BHV.

I don't think there's a great chance of you getting them wet unless you fall into one of the fountains or one of the river's or some such thing.

I was in Copenhagen and Stockholm year before last and there were jeans everywhere, on all ages. I don't know where the "no jeans" thing comes from.

The teenager shopping with her mom was wearing jeans...long cuffs, frayed and dragging on the ground, a t-shirt and a hooded sweatshirt...looked just like my neice. Oh yea...almost forgot..THE dreaded white "trainers" and those were quite dirty.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 03:12 PM

We saw both jeans of every color and cut imaginable on every age group from 6 to 60 as well as lots of white trainers (usually spotlessly white, rapper-style) all over Italy recently. And my jaw really dropped when we kept seeing Crocs. Many in gold, of course...Italians do love their metallic shoes!

What we did NOT see on ladies were the 80's-style "relaxed fit" that is baggy up top and close at the ankle that is still seen elsewhere on women of a certain figure and/or age.

I vote for wearing what feels good on you, fits well and is tasteful.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 03:29 PM

I don't wear jeans for flights because I found out the hard way that at least two pair I own don't make it through security and then I have to be patted down and "wanded" with that thingie.

I wouldn't wear jeans on a transatlantic flight anyway because I haven't found them comfortable for sitting that long.

I usually wear a little jersey dress with no waistband to bind and carry a cashmere cardigan that is good for all seasons. My outfit holds up well and still looks nice 10 hours after I climbed aboard the jet.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 04:02 PM

I agree with most of the others. I don't object to jeans for their looks, but unless they have some stretch, I think they are VERY uncomfortable.

This reminds me of a previous co-worker who came to work the day she was leaving for Europe. She had jeans on, which she never wore to work, and she said she wore them to be comfortable on the plane.

I couldn't believe it. They were the most uncomfortable looking things I eve saw! She was a bit overweight and needed at least one size bigger. I still can't figure how they could possibly have been "comfortable."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -