Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Big choice-paris to avignon(car or no car)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Jack

Have trip almost set for Jan. 1 week in the Paris 6th. Then Provence area for 1 week. <BR><BR>Big question. Rent a car in Avignon and explore on our own? Or train from Avignon to Aix and then back to Paris on train?<BR><BR>Have never been to Provence so I don't know except what I have read in books and this board. Are we really missing out if we don't rent a car and explore on our own between cities. I know it's going to be quite chilly but only time we can go.<BR><BR>Our other thought for the week after Paris was to try Dijon and then Alsace area. Anybody have any thoughts on those cities or Provence for winter. At this point I am will to try anything- Bruge, Berlin, ski in Chamonix.....the world is our oyster....right

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 07:51 AM
waverley

I would definitely recommend hiring a car in Avignon. There are car rental places right next to both train stations so it is very convenient. I think it is so much better to tohave the flexibility of one's own transportation and there is a lot more you can see when you have your own car than if you are dependent on public transportation.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Ellen

Unless you are going to hire a car service or personal guide, you'd be missing a lot. Sure you could see Avignon and Aix as well as Arles just using the local trains. However, bus service seems really limited to some lovely villages such as Gordes, Rousillon and Le Baux. <BR>Ellen

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Rex

Another vote, strongly in favor of car rental, to explore out from Avignon.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 10:44 AM
John

Definetly rent a car in Paris and drive to Provence. Lots to see along the way besides Dijon,Beauneetc. many small villages.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 10:59 AM
John

Jack:<BR><BR>Rent car in Avignon. Driving the Autoroute from Paris is a bore and not cheap. Don't waste a day each way driving.<BR><BR>For things to do and see in Provence check out postings, photos and archives at:<BR><BR>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/provence

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Gretchen`

John's got it right. Train (2+ hours!) to Avignon, rental car (arranged in the US) to see the many charming places of Provence, return car and train back to Paris or wherever you want to go next.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 12:18 PM
mimi taylor

Jack, rent your car from the states..it will be less expensive. Be sure it's a small car. Village roads are very, very narrow and you will need a small car to park. Take the D roads, there is where you will find the beauty of the countryside.I thought Alsace beautiful but did not appreciate the food as inother parts of France, plus I need to learn more French;there I heard mostly German. But saying that, the beauty and people are wonderful.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 03:43 PM
ttt

to the top<BR>