Taxi or rent a car in Provence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2003, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're taking the train to Avignon, (April) ultimate destination Gordes. We'll be there for 3 weeks, don't know if we want to rent a car for the entire time. Are there other ways to get back &amp; forth from Gordes to Avignon?<BR><BR>What's a good web site to rent a car?<BR><BR>Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 04:17 AM

If I understood you correctly, and you are basing yourself in Gordes for 3 weeks, you will definitely need a car! Gordes does not have good transportation connections. The only bus connection between Gordes and Avignon is connecting in Cavaillon. I believe this bus runs only 1-2 times per day, one of them leaving very early from Avignon (I think 6:30 AM). You may want to contact the Gordes tourism office and ask them to mail you bus timetables. I e-mailed other Provencal towns and they mailed me such information.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 05:25 AM

oh, you gotta get a car. you can pick it up right there in the train station at Avignon. <BR><BR><BR>www.kemwel.com
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 05:48 AM

Provence, IMO, cannot be seen and appreciated without a car, unless you are willing to do some exhaustive research on public transportation possibilities and plan your itinerary around them. As someone mentioned, Gordes would be afar from ideal place to stay if you're using public transport. You will see 100 times more if you rent a car and mosey into the backroads and small villages. Call AutoEurope (1-800-223-5555/www.autoeurope) - I've used them for more than a decade and recommend them highly.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 05:55 AM

Swezzie,<BR><BR>A car a must. Auto rental agencies at the TGV station in Avignon. If you need an automatic so specify and confirm in writing.<BR><BR>Look in at St. Remy, Eygalieres if you can during your travels. Wednesday morning market in St. Remy is excellent.<BR>Restaurant Mas Toureton, near Gordes, wonderful for outdoor lunch.<BR>Anthony
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 07:34 AM

swezzie,<BR>I agree with other posters regarding renting a car. We've had success renting from Avis.<BR>JoeG