Better time to travel Apr/May or Sept/Oct

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the very preliminary planning stages of our first trip to Europe next year. We only have a week, due to making arrangements with leaving our children with family. Right now I think we would like to visit Paris for 3 days and Switzerland for 4 days. I want to know when the best time to travel would be, either Apr/May or Sep/Oct. I would hate to wait until next Sept, but if it is a better time to travel, then we will. I do not want to have our vacation hindered due to cold or rainy weather.

Thank you for your time. Have a great week!
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 12:21 PM

Emily, we traveled to Paris in April and May and September and October. Each time is a great time to visit. It really depends on you whether your trip is going to be hindered or not.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 12:21 PM

I would go May, Sept or Oct. It will most likely be raining in April, it might rain any of the other months also but probably not cold. Those 3 months are my favorite time to travel in Europe. There are not as many other travelers like there would be in the summer, the days are not usually too hot and you need a light jacket at night. Have a fun time!
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 12:29 PM

We've been to Germany, Switzerland, Austria and Italy in May on several different occasions and had mostly great weather. One thing about traveling in May is you have a lot more daylight for sightseeing.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the quick responses! May sounds great, our anniversary is in May also, so I guess May it is! I was hoping to go this fall, but it isn't going to work out this year. Thank you all again.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 12:39 PM
ira

Hi emily,

Last week in April to mid-may or Mid Sept to first week in Oct.

Are you sure that with only one week you want to two countries?
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

No, actually, I'm not *sure* about anything! I have a lot of research to do. I was just hoping to pin down the month of travel first! Thank you.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 01:06 PM
tcl

One bit of warning about traveling in May: bring allergy medications. My husband who normally doesn't have hay fever here in the US was miserable while we were in Spain and Italy during May. He had all the classic symptoms of springtime allergies (runny nose, sneezing, stuffy nose, etc.). We had to keep buying allergy medications every week we were in Europe (which isn't cheap!).
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 01:11 PM

We often travel in those months and love it. However, be aware that the high Alps are not good until June.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 02:44 PM

May is the best month. It is the driest and has plenty of daylight. It is also printemps and May is blooming in Paris and Geneva where I have spent the month in the past. May is definitely better than <i>April in Paris</i> which ira has described adequately. The fall, S/O, might give you more problems with hotel availablity because of trade shows in the major cities. And it will be dripping more than May, on average.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 05:49 PM

We do May whenever possible for 2 reasons: it's light much later and this early in the season evreyone is hapy to see tourists - rather than bored with them. Paris is fine in May - but Switzerland may still be quite cool - depending on wherre you go/what you do - tourist sights - or hiking up the mountains.