Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

5Terre weather in April, May, Sept. or Oct.?

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 09:56 AM
Suzanne

I am wondering what kind of weather people have mostly experienced in Cinque Terre during the above months? I have looked at the average temperatures listed at weather sites, but I would like to have more of an idea based on what kind of clothes were needed!

I am not asking this so I know what to pack, but because temperatures are different feeling in different places. For instance, when I lived in the city I figured bathing suit weather to be at about 75F (approximately 24C), now I live in the country, on the salt-water and I don't usually get into my bathing suit until the temperature is well over 75F.

This will help me decide when to go! I like bathing suit weather that isn't too hot to do some hiking in.

Thanks to anybody who can give me some help! Have a great day! ~Suzanne

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 11:54 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

It is a maritime climate, of course.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 12:28 PM
Suzanne

What does that mean? Does that mean that generally in early October when the average temperature is 70F/21C that there is hardly anyone on the beach in swim suits?

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 12:34 PM
Suzanne

Maybe it will help if I add that I am looking for people with experience in CT during the months I mentioned.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 12:53 PM
Amazing

Suzanne,

You seem to be having a problem, not only with the few responses you have received, but also with your "attitude".

First of all, your header "5Terre weather in April,
May, Sept. or Oct.?", is totally "cute". Talking in code is just great. Secondly, you want a weather report for 4 different months.

Am not suprised at all that few have bothered to answer you. Your responses seem to be very demanding, not very friendly.

Good luck.

Amazing

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 01:05 PM
Suzanne

Amazing (and anyone else who feels the same way),

I'm sorry if I seem to have an attitude, I certainly don't mean to. I did the best I know how to try and see if anyone could share with me the kind of information I need to decide when I am going to go to Italy. I certainly apologize for any misunderstanding.
Sincerely,
Suzanne

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 01:23 PM
Lesli

Suzanne -

The Cinque Terre are coastal villages, but there are not really any beaches per se, so I don't think you'll see many people in swimsuits regardless of the weather. I was there in April, and it was warm enough for short sleeved shirts and shorts if you had them, but I didn't see anyone in a swimsuit over the two days I was there. We did the hike between villages, and it was warm, but not too hot.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 02:48 PM
Dolcevita

I completely agree with the comments of Lesli. Early April was lovely weather, perfect for hiking, tho noone in swimsuits.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 07:46 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

You said you have the average temps by month. You also say you understand the difference in "salt water" climates. You had your own answer all the time.
I have been there both in Apr and Oct. Forget the bathing suit.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 09:34 PM
Suzanne

Thank you all for the helpful advise. You have helped me to make a big decision about my trip to Italy.

Because I trust experienced travelers more then a book and evidently Cinque Terre isn't what Rick Steve's says it is in his 2003 Italy book on page 302, I think I will skip it. Instead I will go somewhere on the water with warmer weather or spend more time inland. If anyone has a suggestion you can email me at the above address. I don't expect to be returning to this sight due to a few bad apples.

Thanks again to the nice people!
~Suzanne