Reload this Page >

Best cell phone coverage/ reception in Europe/ Russia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:51 AM
lucky

Most of the new cell phone programs now have International direct dialing capability from US to Europe / Russia from Europe/ Russia to US. Any thoughts as to which has best coverage and reception..AT&T or T-Mobile. Thanks

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:57 AM
Sandy

I have T-Mobile, and had great reception in Scotland and Spain. T-Mobile is actually Deutch Telecom. Reception was better than it is in the US! Am using it again in France next week. Can't speak for AT & T.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:11 AM
Debbie

Hi,<BR>I tried to use my Tmobile GSM phone in London 2wks ago. I couldn't get it to find the signal...I happened to pass a Tmobile store and the salesman tried changing my frequency but that didn't work either. When I got back, I called customer service and was told 2 things have to be manually switched??? I don't know why the salesperson didn't know this but the up-shot is that I ended up using a calling card and payphones.<BR><BR>Debbie<BR><BR>PS If you have Tmobile, you also have to arrange international calling at least 24hrs prior to travelling.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:38 AM
lucky

thanks..could use a few more to help me make a choice. Looks like we have one definate for T-Mobile and one not so sure. Hope to get some more input. Thanks again.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:57 AM
Sandy

FYI, with TMobile you must call them from the US and activate international calling. (It actually takes a few days) Also you need a phone with international capacity - not all have them. You might also check the websites and see where the companies claim to have coverage.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:18 AM
Jim

Lucky,<BR>I used T-Mobile (formerly Voicestream)this past summer throughout France and Italy with great success. Excellent reception everywhere I went. Intend to use it again this summer in Europe.<BR>Yes, you must register/tell them that you will use it in Europe. The phone must be a GSM Tri-band for use in Europe.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:21 PM
ctars

i used my at&amp;t gsm phone that i brought with me to europe. I used it in austria, switzerland, france and italy i never had a problem getting a signal and it worked great no reception problems...

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 01:54 PM
Marc David Miller

Be aware that the roaming charges can be astronomical when using such a phone in Russia--it might be cheaper to buy a phone there.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 08:55 PM
Mitch

I recently used my Cingular GSM phone in London, Hungary, Austria and Italy with no problem. The cost was astronomical, but it saved us during an Italian rail strike. The phone must be unlocked so it can roam onto other carriers and you must enable international calling before you go.