Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy -We've postponed once and now it seems like it will never get here...would you extend the wait 7 months just to go in April/May?

Search

Italy -We've postponed once and now it seems like it will never get here...would you extend the wait 7 months just to go in April/May?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have had to postpone this trip once. Have been to Italy twice, both times in the winter, and I wanted to go this time when the flower boxes and wildflowers are blooming and Tuscany is green. Originally planned on going September into October 2010 but thought Spring would be better for above reasons. Destinations are Tuscany, Amalfi Coast and Rome. I can "see" Sept. 2010....waiting until Spring of 2011 makes my heart heavy...it simply is too far away.

Would you wait an additional 7 long months for flowers and green? I know the days will be getting longer...but gee, I'm aching to go back....

So yes, it's another "what would you do question"?

Old Jan 5th, 2009, 07:30 AM

travel - I would go in September/October. I researched a lot going in the spring vs. the fall and opted for the fall because it seemed the weather would be better (depending on when in hte spring you are talking about going?) Anyway... no, I would not delay to see the flowers.

I would plan another trip in the spring of another year.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

I realized I didn't indicate I was looking at end of April into May. We are flexible however, and can go at anytime.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 07:48 AM

The vineyards of Tuscany get much needed rain in April. It can rain on-and-off for days at a time. (I still think it's beautiful but I photograph in the rain.)

May, June, September, and early October are idyllic.

Now that I've been to Italy so many times, I plan all future trips around my favorite weeks of the year.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 07:52 AM
JBX

> Would I wait an additional 7 long months for flowers and green? <

NO. And I'd make that a "hell NOOOOOO". First of all, "the green" isn't disappearing that fast. And secondly, you're overlooking another advantage to exploring Tuscany during the fall. It's harvest season and you'll find food festivals going on in October.
http://goitaly.about.com/od/festival...a/oct_fest.htm

From my perspective the "ideal" time to visit Italy (weatherwise) is the end of September to beginning of October.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 08:17 AM

We've usually travel to Italy in the month of May. Our sixth trip is planned for May, 2009.

The grass is green, and there are lots of flowers in bloom. I am always able to sit by the hotel pool (even swim in heated pools). Nights might be a little cool (down into the low 60s), but a light jacket or sweater is fine.

I guess I should add that Perugia (Umbria) was the only place that was cold in the evening - the city is high and flat, and the wind was always blowing. I ended up with a dry cough.

One trip was at the middle-to-end of May and it was a heat wave...it's unpredictable A June-July trip was extremely hot, especially in Rome.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 08:37 AM

Lucky you to have the chance to go in Sept-Oct. It is absolutely the best time of year, plenty of flowers in bloom, the bougainvillea is a dream, and not even out in April. You can usually swim in September, and here in Rome so many of the festivals are still in full swing for the beautiful evenings. Never give up a chance to come to Italy, especially when it is in the best season! Enjoy.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 08:50 AM

agree with Yolanda above...we've had some of our most colorful visits to Italy during early October over the years....do it...don't wait..never wait!

Stu T.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 10:46 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I like to travel in different seasons, each has its own beauty. You never know what weather might hit anyways. So no I would not postpone the trip again. "Flowers and green" are definitely not necessary for me to enjoy Italy!
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 10:54 AM

One reason I love Italy so much in October is harvest season - olives (later), grapes, all sorts of veg and fruit and nuts. And a little later is truffle season. Of course it is gorgeous in the Spring as well but I, too, would definitely go in October (and next Spring!).
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 11:10 AM

Just FYI we went late April one year - Venice heading south towards Rome - it snowed! the day we went to Siena - so if you decide to wait for spring, I would definately go more mid-May. We have been several times, late Sept. into Oct. - not really the spring flowers but still alot of green - impatiens, lots of geraniums, bouganvilla, the lemons on the Amalfi coast and of course the grape harvest. It is a lovely time to go.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 02:18 PM

My only visit to Italy was in early Oct. and we had very nice weather, except a rainy day in Venice. I thought it was a very nice time to go.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 01:22 AM

Go in September! I am not sure what the holiday calendar looks like in 2011, but we were in Italy late April/early May and it was so crowded due to Easter vacationers. Plus we payed high season rates.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 01:25 PM

We are going to Rome for 8 days Apr 28 and one of the major objectives will be to visit the Gardens of Ninfa and other gardens during the spring flower season and before the heat of summer. But I agree with most of the other posters in that late September or early October is an ideal time. The smog is gone, the tourists have thinned out, the blackberries have been picked and stored and the grapes are being harvested and if you have not had a gelato made of fresh blackberries or grapes, you have not lived... Have a great trip regardless of when you go..