When to go to Italy

Jun 21st, 2002, 07:04 AM
Laura Isaac

When to go to Italy

Is it better to go to Italy in April or Oct.?
Will the extra hours of daylight make a significant difference? This is our first trip there - looking for ideal conditions (crowds, weather, etc.).

Jun 21st, 2002, 07:18 AM
TJ

Laura - go when it suits your schedule. Both should be great and a little less crowded with school in session. October is wine/truffle season but spring is always nice. We were originally going last September and had to reschedule for June (just got back). Enjoyed the countryside being green and lush. Only thing on April is I would go later in the month or early May to ensure that weather is warm and spring has begun.

Jun 21st, 2002, 07:38 AM
Jill

I went to Italy in April a few years ago. We had beautiful weather! Low 70's & sunny. I live in Cincinnati - and found the weather there & daylight hours just the same as home. Went to Venice, Florence, Rome, Pisa, etc. We stayed in a small beautiful town, pretty much centrally located for the region, called Montecatini. I LOVED Italy and the people! Have fun!

Jun 21st, 2002, 11:11 AM
Natalie

There is not much difference in the weather if you travel to Italy in April or October. They are both reasonably warm with good spells of sunshine.

The tourist sights will definitely be less busy so you will not have to queue for ages. I would probably recommend April over October as you do have those extra hours of daylight and it will be nice to wander the streets or sit outside a cafe and people-watch.

Regards.
Natalie

Jun 21st, 2002, 11:19 AM
Tess

In my opinion, anytime is a good time to go to Italy. I have been there during both of those times. If you've got the flexibility to select either time of the year, I'd choose early October.