Best way to spend 2 nights in Sorrento

May 14th, 2007, 01:40 AM
Original Poster

Best way to spend 2 nights in Sorrento

We could only squeeze in 2 nights in Sorrento in our upcoming trip to Italy. We will arrive at approx. 2:00 pm via train and check into our hotel the Grand Hotel President. I have been to Sorrento before, but only for the day on a tour. We have 3 things we would like to accomplish while there:
1) Explore the main area of Sorrento.
2) Visit Positano.
3) Visit Capri.

I'm not sure how to accomplish #2 and #3. I am assuming that we can go to the marina and catch a ferry to Capri and then find our way around from there? I've also checked into ferrys to Positano and I think we can do it all in the afternoon after we arrive if we just want to go there for dinner. Help!
May 14th, 2007, 02:07 AM

Very easy. Go down to the marina, and jump on one of the ferry boats, one going to Capri, the next day to Positano-when you come back in the evening, you can spend your time in and around Piazza Tasso. The ferry boats are fabulous, the scenery tremendous-very inexpensive as well, I think 7-8 Euro (this past September) to Positano, a bit more to Capri. Sorrento is a wonderful base to explore all of the Amalfi Coast.
May 14th, 2007, 02:26 AM

Hi Trav - You would have time to visit Positano on the afternoon you arrive if you wish - it's about 45 mins by bus.

Alternatively you could just visit Sorrento that day - and combine Capri and Positano next day.

Sorrento-Capri is only a short ride - so you could be there soon after 09.00 and spend several hours in Capri.

Then catch a ferry/hydrofoil to Positano mid/late afternoon. This would allow you 2-3 hrs in Positano, and you could then return to Sorrento by bus.
Last bus currently 20.40 from Positano
(- 21.40 on Sundays)

For ferry/hydrofoil timetables Sorrento-Capri (- and Capri-Positano) see:

http://www.capri.net/salsa/lang/en/page/transport.html

For Sorrento-Positano/ Positano-Sorrento bus timetables see:

http://www.sitabus.it/sitabus/campan...ROXV_inv_4.pdf

(Current bus timetable valid until 9 June)

Hope this helps ...

Steve
May 14th, 2007, 04:10 AM

Whenever you do it, arriving in Positano by boat (ferry) is a sight not to be missed.

You could just explore Sorrento the first evening and the next day see Capri in the morning and Positano in the afternoon and for dinner if you have a special restaurant in mind.

Or, consider Capri the first afternoon/evening and Positano the next morning and for lunch.

In Sorrento, Shops and things close in the afternoon and don't reopen until the evening. Then, they are open until about 10:00P.M.
May 14th, 2007, 05:03 AM

Personally I wouldn't advise trying to see Capri on your first afternoon. The last ferry back from Capri is 19.00 - so your visit would be too rushed IMO.

If you want to go outside Sorrento, Positano would be more viable that first day.

Steve
May 15th, 2007, 01:26 PM

We also will be in Sorrento for 2 nights. I'm not sure what time we get in the 1st night, it might be around dinnertime. So, we will have all the next day until a dinner in Sorrento that night. The following day we have an evening flight out of Naples. I don't know what time we will have to leave for the airport. I really wanted to go to Capri on the full day and then just walk around Sorrento the last day. So, if you had to choose Capri or Positano?
May 15th, 2007, 01:37 PM

I am also planning on spending a few nights in Sorrento. (Not until next spring). Regarding the boats from Sorrento to Capri, Positano, etc, at which month do these begin to run fairly regularly? (We are trying to decide which week to plan this vacation; thinking of mid to late April to avoid crowds but have a chance of some nice weather... Planning to split the week Naples/Amalfi or Sorrento/Amalfi)

Many thanks!
May 15th, 2007, 01:40 PM

Personally I'd skip Capri. Capri is best early or late when the tourist mobs are gone. During the day it feels like a big tourist trap to me, but I am sure others disagree. It is magical at night and early morning though.

I enjoyed Positano, however. I would take the bus to Positano in the morning, spend the day there and take the hydrofoil back to Sorrento.

If you have not been to Pompeii, I'd recommend you try to fit that in if you can. It is pretty amazing.
May 15th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. From the recommendations above, I believe we will visit Sorrento in the PM after we arrive (it will be at least 4 before we are checked into the hotel and ready to leave) and combine Capri first then Positano the next day.

One last question - How long should we plan on spending in Capri to see the blue grotto and the other major sites?

May 16th, 2007, 12:30 AM

Trav - 'How long should we plan on spending in Capri to see the blue grotto and the other major sites?'

You will need several hours in Capri to see the highlights. I would plan to be there by 09.00 or soon after ...

If it's a clear day don't miss the Monte Solaro chairlift ride at Anacapri - and maybe a bus ride down to Marina Piccola.

There are currently 3 departures from Capri to Positano - at:

15.10 - 16.25 - 17.15

http://www.capri.net/salsa/lang/en/page/transport.html

I'd say ... plan according to how long you want to spend in Positano.

N.B. If you're going in high season it would be advisable to book your Capri-Positano ticket as soon as you arrive in Capri.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
May 16th, 2007, 12:42 AM

Hi Ekscrunchy - The Sorrento-Capri service runs all year round (- weather permitting).

The Sorrento-Positano-Amalfi hydrofoil service usually starts end of March (- this year 31/3). For frequency see:

http://www.metrodelmare.com/

(Line MM3/ MM2)

In summer there is also an occasional ferry service on this route.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
May 16th, 2007, 12:54 AM

Hi Fluff - 'So, if you had to choose Capri or Positano?'

No need to choose. Do both!

If your flight isn't until evening you'll have plenty of time to spend the morning in Positano and return for lunch in Sorrento.

There is a direct Airport Shuttle bus from Sorrento to Naples (- Capodichino) airport. For timetables see:

http://www.curreriviaggi.it/

Alternatively you could combine Capri and Positano in one day ...

Hope this helps ...

Steve
May 16th, 2007, 02:26 AM
RJD

Is there a reason you're not considering Pompeii on the second day? It's easy to get to and so much more interesting than Capri.
May 16th, 2007, 05:09 AM

Thank you, Steve. You are always helpful.
May 16th, 2007, 10:45 AM

Hi, Steve!
I like the idea of going to Positano on the very last day! Thanks for that suggestion. I am eager to see Capri. We were on Santorini 2 yrs. ago and loved it there. So, spectacular! We'll see if Capri is the same.

R.D. We will be seeing Pompeii on our way to Sorrento so that is why I didn't mention it.
May 17th, 2007, 09:43 AM

Steve:
Thank you, thank you for suggesting
http://www.curreriviaggi.it/
I've been searching for alternatives to taking trains (strike looming).
Not only can we get to sorrento, we can take the bus to Rome for the last leg of our trip!