Final Itinerary and a few questions

May 16th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Final Itinerary and a few questions

I have finalized (finally) my itinerary with my wife and 2 college aged daughters.

June 11, 12, 13, 14 Rome
June 15, 16 in Sorrento
June 17 Florence
June 18, 19 Venice
June 20 fly home from Venice

I would like to take the train between all of these locations versus renting a car. I would also like to spend a short time in Pisa (only to see the leaning tower). Is this possible by train and is it worth it financially versus renting a car for part or all of it? Once again, thanks to all who have assited me with advice.

Lou
May 16th, 2007, 04:05 PM

Hi,
Well, it is possible to train to Pisa, but the closest "base" for a trip to Pisa is Florence. With only one day for Florence, Pisa does not look like a practical choice - I would probably give that up given that you already have a full itinerary for your trip.
Happy travels!
May 16th, 2007, 04:06 PM

We took a taxi to Pisa from Lucca. Splitting it four wasy it was money well spent in my opinion.
May 16th, 2007, 04:49 PM

You say you've finalized your itinerary, but I hope you'll accept a few comments.

(First of all, is this trip in 2007 or 2008? And do you have your hotels booked?)

Your train journey from Rome to Sorrento will take about 3.5 hours, so at best you'll arrive at your Sorrento hotel by noon (on June 15th I presume.) That gives you just 1.5 days to see a fairly large area with many sights and in crowded summer conditions.

Your train journey from Sorrento to Florence will take at least 6 hours, which even with longer summer days means most of a day lost to travel. As you've scheduled only one night in Florence, you'll have just a few hours to see one of the great cities of Italy.

Would you consider dropping either Florence or Sorrento from this trip?
May 16th, 2007, 06:10 PM
jgg

Completely agree with Jean's comments - drop either Florence or Sorrento. Take the train, it is efficient and easy for the places you are planning on going to.
May 17th, 2007, 03:25 AM

BTW - I agree with Jean and jgg ... I would drop either Florence or Sorrento.
May 17th, 2007, 07:06 AM

HI lou,

I agree with the other's suggestion. Considering travel time and summer heat and crowds - cut a destination.

Enjoy BEING places more!
Buon viaggio!
May 17th, 2007, 07:31 AM

I'd drop Sorrento since this takes you south out of Rome and then you're backtracking north through Rome again to get to Florence. You're going to waste almost one full day on the train when you could easily use the extra couple of days in Florence and environs and then head to Venice.
May 17th, 2007, 07:49 AM

Agree with eyes. I'd drop Sorrento. I just think Florence is a must see, and you need to factor in the time from Florence to Venice. Would also agree with idea of taking the train. FWIW, if you find yourself pinched for time, I'd also eliminate Pisa with your schedule. It will take several hours just to see the tower and, frankly, we were somewhat disappointed. But that's just our opinion.
May 17th, 2007, 09:28 AM

It depends on your interests and those of your daughters. I travel with teens and they would rather spend a few days in Sorrento doing the water/beach thing in between Rome and Venice than go to Florence. On the other hand, if they are art history majors, then Florence is a don't miss. Everyone is different so do what works for you, but I would recommend cutting one place out of your four.

May 17th, 2007, 09:53 AM

My husband just returned from 3 weeks in Italy. Definitely drop Sorrento and add more to Florence. Florence seemed to have the best shopping and prices.

We went to Pisa and really enjoyed seeing and climbing the leaning tower. I think it is worth the trip. Also, there is a great restaurant we at lunch at called Osteria dei Cavalieri, via San Frediano, Pisa. It is a bit of a walk from the tower, but not too far. We had red wine, shared pasta with an artichoke sauce and a beef filet. Also had some sort of ice cream dessert with toffee bits. Everything was just delicious!