Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best way CDG to St. Michel stop, then again from Orly to St. Michel

Old Jul 24th, 2003, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be traveling with a roll-on each, plus one duffelbag, and are planning to take the RER from CDG to our hotel at St. Germain/St. Michel Blvds. Then, after traveling to several other countries, we'll be coming back to hotel from Orly. Is RER both times the best way? Any idea of the cost vs. taxi?
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 06:15 PM

RER from Orly is €8.80. For the life of me, I can't find what the fare is from Roissy CDG, but it may be more since the Roissybus is more than the Orlybus (see below).

A private shuttle service like PariShuttle runs €17 each (though Parishuttle often gives a reduction to Fodorites). www.parishuttle.com Contact the manager Mark Harris at [email protected] to find out . I've used them twice and really liked being picked up (or dropped off) at my hotel.

I have heard that taxis run €40-50. Taxis do charge extra at certain times of the day, and charge for luggage, but the 40-50 should cover that.

One other option are public shuttle buses to metro stations, like OrlyBus, which goes to Denfert Rochereau metro stop for 5.70 and Roissybus, which goes to Opera for 8.20.

Air France also runs bus shuttles for about 10-11 euros to different places depending on which airport it's coming from, but none are St. Michel.

Frankly, with all your luggage (thinking particularly of the dufflebag), I'd do a shuttle or taxi, but my priorities have changed as I've gotten older.
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 06:22 PM

I don't think the RER is ever the best way, but I just don't have any tolerance for public transportation with baggage. Figure out what you might be saving by doing this, especially since there are two of you, I guess, and decide if that is worth your time and trouble. It's not to me, but I know some people feel differently. RER fare into Paris from CDG is around 8-10 euro now, I believe. Probably about the same from Orly. It's not as simple from Orly, however, as the stop at the airport is not direct into Paris--it's sort of complicated, you have to take a shuttle bus or some special line to the RER stop and then transfer. That special line is called Orlyval. Anyway, you can find all details and instructions about transfers on the airport web site www.adp.fr

If your hotel is exactly at that corner of those two boulevards, that is only about a block from the St Michel RER stop, so that isn't too bad if your rollon is not a large one. You'll have to walk around a bit, stairs, etc at the stop, though, to get out of it onto the street.

Taxi fare depends on time of day and day of week, but I'd guess around 40-45 euro from CDG; maybe 30-35 from Orly.
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the RER might be an OK option from CDG, but the shuttle might be better from Orly. We have 6 weeks to figure it out!
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 06:46 PM

I may be crazy, but I have taken Orlyval before into Paris and I don't remember it having been a big deal. Here's a site that compares different means of transpo.

http://www.letsgo.com/PAR/01-OnceInParis-18
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, LVSUE, that's a great site. I don't think we'll have any problems, and since we're staying right on the RER line, it seems a shame to do it any other way.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 01:01 PM
Intrepid

Check schedules and routes at www.ratp.fr
Click on the English version (upper right)

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 02:51 PM

We just recently took the RER from CDG to the St. Michel/Notre Dame stop. It was very simple this time, as well as our first time in Paris (four years ago).

You can purchase your tickets near the RER train entrance at CDG for 7.70 euro each (at least that's what we paid). Go downstairs, get on the train, and your on your way. The stops are noted on the train, so it's very simple and takes about 30 minutes (give or take) to get to St. Michel.

If you have light luggage, it's not a problem at all. We each had a rolling suitcase, plus a duffle bag, and noted many other passengers with luggage, as well. There are even luggage racks above the seats. I wouldn't, however, attempt the RER if you have more luggage than each person can handle with stairs.

Sorry, I can't comment on your reverse trip.

Good luck!