Search

Best Walking Tour Sites

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Syl
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Walking Tour Sites

Looking for good walking tour websites. Which ones do Fodorites use?
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 12:31 PM

Are you looking for walking tours of a few hours duration in cities, or ones that go for a week or more on some itenerary somewhere? Please clarify.
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 06:06 AM
Syl
Original Poster

Sorry, looking for walks of individual cities that last several hours. For example, Frommers & Rick Steves are two that I tend to use when I want to see highlites that I don't want to miss. I'm putting a travel course for seniors together & am interested in other resources.
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 06:30 AM

Hi Syl,

For Spain --

Many of Maribel's guides offer some interesting walking tours. Check out... http://www.maribelsguides.com/ She provides excellent information about travel to Spain. Ray and I felt like we had a personal guide with us each time we referred to her insights and suggestions. Maribel's information is "spot-on"!!!

Another source for walking tours in Spain is through the Spanish Tourism office. There are several walking tours in their guidebooks and each of these offer interesting venues to take note and visit as you enjoy walking through a neighborhood.

I'll also second the Frommer's walking tours as a suggestion. Their walking tours are posted in their entirety on-line and include good maps.

Sharon
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 07:58 AM

Here's something for Paris that may be of interest, especially to seniors. "City Walks: Paris, 50 Adventures on Foot" by Christine Henry de Tessan, published by Chronicle Books (www.chroniclebooks.com, the same folks who publish Sandra Gustafson's much touted travel guides) is a deck of 50 cards, each with an easy to read map with the route on one side and brief narrative on the other. Additional reading may augment the descriptions, as one can't get a whole lot on a card, but they work quite well. When I received this as a gift I thought it would just gather dust but on a recent trip with a first time Paris visitor they worked quite nicely. We browsed through the deck each day and selected one or more cards to put together an itinerary. I have seen this in the travel section of bookstores (e.g., Borders); the publisher's website now lists a similar product for Rome and Washington, DC.
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 08:08 AM

Oops - premature keystroke - meant to add that there are also City Walk editions listed for Rome, Amsterdam, London, New York, San Francisco and Boston. Have only used the Paris one but if the others are half as good I'd use them as well.
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 09:29 AM

Do the tours have to be outlined on the web or can you use books as well?
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 09:56 AM
Syl
Original Poster

Preference please for web sites as it's a course specializing in travel planning using the internet.
Thanks.