Search

Need Spain Walking Tour Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Spain Walking Tour Recommendations

Hello,

I'll be in Spain for two weeks in early November. Does anyone have walking tour recommendations for either Barcelona, Seville, Granada, Toledo and/or Madrid?

Thanks!
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 06:35 AM

The Fodors City Pack guides, and I guess some of their other guides, and also the Rick Steves guides for cities, usually have walking tours.

What I do is get a plastic coated map of the city, then mark out the walking tour with a colored highlighter on the map. If more than one walking tour, use different colors. Did that for Rome, with three different walking tours, and it worked GREAT!!

But, bring a small pocket compass, as it is very easy to get turned around and go off in the wrong direction. Not that getting lost is bad of course, as you can see some interesting stuff that way too!

--Marv
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 06:53 AM

Take a look at www.maribelsguides.com.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 09:16 AM

As mentioned above, Maribel's Guides to Barcelona, Sevilla and Madrid offers a number of good walking tours in these areas. Another source, depending on where you're located, is to visit the Tourist office of Spain to see is they have any walking guides available.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 10:35 AM

The Spanish tourism office can also be contacted for brochures, and detailed information before you leave on your trip. They have booklets for each of the cities you mentioned, as well as for the province. Example: Sevilla Andalusia, Barcelona, Catalunya. The back of the city booklets have suggested walking itineraries. There are also specific self-guided walking tour pamphlets.

For an office near you, check http://www.spain.info/TourSpain/Turi...r/?Language=en Click your nearest city for that office's contact infomation.

If you contact them by phone or e-mail, they will mail you booklets for each of these cities with little maps of walking tours in the back of the booklet. The key here, is to contact the tourist office and explain to them what your interests are and they can mail all sorts of goodies to you before you leave. It might be too late to allow for mailing time for November. (Seems like it took 2 weeks for mailings in the states. I had called the Chicago and New York offices at different times and from either place it took 10 days or so to arrive in my Oklahoma City mailbox.)

Maybe you are lucky and live within driving distance of one of their offices. Have a great trip!
- Sharon
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Sharon,

I am lucky! I live in Los Angeles and they have an office in Beverly Hills. Thanks! And thanks to all of you (so far)!
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

By the way, just to clarify, I'm interested in getting recommendations for guided walking tours.

Thanks!
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 03:33 PM

johnz323
You might want to contact Saranjan Tours (http://saranjan.com/) regarding guided walking tours. If they don't have one, then they can recommend someone.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 03:00 PM

Are you looking for city walks or something like a trek in the mountains?
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 06:53 PM

John, The walking tours listed in the tourism department brochures I mentioned are self-guided tours.

Seems like there are some recommendations here for "Tapas Crawls" with Stephen Drake Jones in Madrid. And, be sure to check Maribel's guides as already mentioned. Her advice is pure wisdom.

This is a site I bookmarked. Don't know anymore than that. Maybe someone else has a personal experience with this outfit. http://www.tonghang88.com/frames24.htm

Happy travels,
Sharon
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

I'm interested in guided city tours.

And thanks again, Sharon. The "tonghang88" website looks interesting. Also, I've seen Maribel's and I highly recommend it!

The Spanish tourism in Beverly Hills is great! I was able to find all sorts of FREE stuff including city maps.

Thanks again!

John
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 04:49 AM

John - you were so fortunate to be able to go to the Spanish tourism office and brouse through all their goodies. You must be leaving soon. I hope you have a fabulous trip. Write a trip report and tell me all about it after your return.

-Sharon
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 02:12 PM
cpi

In Seville I would highly recomend Sevilliawalkingtours.com. Concepcion, who does the tours is delightful. She only does small groups but is very reasonable.