Best Type of Luggage

Apr 16th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Best Type of Luggage

What is the best type of checked luggage for travel to Hungary and Germany from US? We have always used wheel-less, zippered, soft-sided bags to travel w/in US and Mexico. Concerned bags may get ripped or severely damaged going international. Should we use hardshell luggage?
All valuables and change of clothes will be in carry-ons. Kids use rolled backpacks for carry-on for ease through airports.
Apr 16th, 2007, 12:12 PM

Use what you are comfortable when travelling in the US.

BTW I think that US/Mexico IS international
Apr 16th, 2007, 12:43 PM

I don't see why you need anything different for Europe than for Mexico. I use the same for both places, either a 22 or 24 inch roller (because I don't like carrying the weight of soft-sided over my shoulder or back).
Apr 16th, 2007, 01:04 PM

I wouldn't worry any more about damage for a trip to Europe than you do about any other flights you take. If you will be moving around a fair amount, I find that anything you can comfortably wear on your back to be preferable. The wheeled cases are great in airports and all but useless on cobblestone (learned this the hard way). Soft sided bags that have either a handle and/or an over-the-shoulder strap can be unweildy if you need to carry it any distance (up and down stairs to catch a train or subway, for example).
Apr 18th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks.... somehow I don't think of Cancun on Delta as International... but you are correct. Thank you for your opinions. They are appreciated.
Apr 18th, 2007, 01:05 PM

Perhaps you are just thinking it will be thrown around more, but I don't think it really makes any difference how long the flight is, it only happens on landing no matter where.

I certainly wouldn't take a large piece of luggage without wheels, I haven't done that since they invented such a thing (one of the most important inventions in the world IMO, what took them so long). I want wheels on a piece of luggage 20" or more.

However, I've never taken hard-shelled luggage, and my luggage has lasted years and years. Sometimes I wish it wouldn't as I'd like something new. It's just the usual zipped, synthetic/cloth soft-sided stuff, and not expensive brands.

There are some newer light-weight hardshelled pieces though, which I might try (like Delsey Helium) if I were going to get something new. But that's due to the weight, not being hardshelled.

You must have real small bags if you don't want wheels on them.