Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Bringing prescription meds (and supplements) into Mexico

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family is traveling to Mexico on vacation later this month. I take several prescription medicines and also supplements for a couple of medical conditions. Does anyone know for what I need to bring (if anything) to prevent problems with customs? Should I bring the prescription bottles or can I just bring my usual daily pill case? Thanks so much for any advice!
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 07:57 PM

I"ve had experience with this traveling to Europe. We took current prescriptions with us along with the meds. Carry the meds with you on the airplane...NOT in the luggage area. We did that once and the airlines lost the suitcase. What a time we had finding a Dr. to prescribe the medicine.
I think this advice would be true for Mexico.Laureen
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 03:57 AM

Do take the meds in their original prescripition bottles! Then there is no doubt what they are, but do 'carry them' with you. It wouldn't hurt to have your doctor write you RX's for those too. We took a tour of Northern Mexico in May and were advised to do this. We had no problems with customs, but there were 46 of us on the bus and traveling alone, or by air, might be different. Better safe and prepared instead of sorry and left behind
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 07:54 AM
Jed

We were in Mexico in May. We carry just what we need mixed together, and never had any problem. The customs people have more to worry about than a few pills in your carry-on. And if you carry a bottle with a label, are the checkers going to know that the pills inside are really what they should be?
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 08:58 AM

Technically you are supposed to bring medicines in the original labeled containers. If the medicine is by perscription you are supposed to have that too. Now, that said, I go to Mexico several times a year with just the labels on the presciptions,but better safe than sorry if you are at all comcered, particularily if you take anything Mexico classes as a narcotic. Finally, definateley don't mix pills in a container, customs officials can distinguish one medicine from another, and it is an invitation to trouble. I have had them look in pill bottles by the way.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 06:40 PM
TC

We go to Mexico - and lots of other places out of the country and I've never been asked about perscription drugs. I always carry them in my purse or carry-on bag. I do take them out of the bottles, peel the labels off the bottles and apply the labels to zip-lock snack bags then put the pills inside. This way I have the original labels, but I don't have a bag full of bottles taking up a lot of space. Works beautifully.