Luggage security

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 08:34 PM
Kim

Luggage security

I am traveling from the US to Mexico. The new US travel regulations state that travelers can't lock their luggage. Does anyone know if Mexico has similar regulations? I am just trying to figure out if I can lock my bags on the back home to the US. Anyone have any experience??

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 09:47 PM
Judy

I don't know exactly where in Mexico you are going but we went to Cancun over X-mas on American Airlines and we were told NOT to lock our suitcases and when we left Cancun, they opened up every single bag and checked them. It may also depend on the airline but United Airlines has stated that they prefer that you pack your shoes on top of your clothes.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 07:26 AM
Beth

There are 2 kinds of bags - one you roll out the air the other you vacuum out the air. Sorry I don't have either but I was wondering aboutt them like you! They sell them at Target and don't seem that expensive.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 07:43 AM
ParrotMom

Our experience with having our luggage checked at the Cancun airport was a disastor...our cell phone which was put in a very secure place in a carry on bag disappeared.. We have wide nylon straps which we have used all these years and will continue to use and leave the suitcases unlocked.. anything of value will be on our carry ons which will be hand checked. Traditionally when we go on vacation in the winter I always sneak a Valentine present for my husband...this is going to be tricky..

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 08:08 AM
shell

This is the first I have heard of not locking luggage. Do they inform you of this at the airport before you leave the states or when you leave Mexico? Don't relish the idea of traveling with my luggage unlocked so whoever can just help themselves.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 08:22 AM
Monica

Be prepared to have your bags unlocked. This is a new regulation no matter where you travel. We have traveled on three different airlines out of Cancun in the past year and a half and could not lock our luggage. By the way, we have transported some valuable stuff in and out of there and never had anything taken. Not saying that don't happen, just saying its rare.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 03:09 PM
Merriem

It is kind of funny, because we have traveled all over the world, and never locked our luggage. My new travelpro comes with combination locks, but I had not planned to use it. The only thing we ever had stolen were some postcards. I think people are getting way too worked up about this. Remember, if someone wants to get in our take your luggage, a lock will not keep them out.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 04:31 PM
nnn

I don't leave my house unlocked when I leave it. (yes someone could break in if they really wanted to...) I don't leave my car unlocked when I leave it...why would I leave my luggage unlocked? Why make it easier for someone to steal your stuff?

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 06:10 PM
sam

you are going to have a problem then, because as of the 1st of the year, all airlines are requiring your luggage to be unlocked.