Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best hotels (reasonable in Rome for sightseeing)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will have 5 days on my european trip where I will stay in Rome. Before heading elsewhere.
Would like to stay in a good location of Rome to see all major attractions..( ART, Colisuem etc ) I know they have a bus system etc. But where is the best area to be located ( Name area and hotels if you can) with not too exhorbant price but nice and centrally located ? Its just my wife and I....
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 11:25 PM

You can stay in the historic section of Rome and you can stay near the Colosseum. Go into the hotel section here at Fodors and get some ideas.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks I have ideas. But where have people stayed that THEY enjoyed ?
Thanks in advance ....
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 11:43 PM

Your best bet would be to put your ideas here and then people can comment. I like the P. Navona area, I usualy stay at Res. Canali or at Due Torri. I like them both.
I have stayed near the Vatican at the Atlante Star. I have rented apartments in Trastevere and near P. Navona.

In the meantime put Rome hotels in the little search box and you will get so many recommendations from Fodorites you will get dizzy.

Good luck.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 02:27 AM

Hi! I can recommend you to stay near Piazza Navona, for instance the Teatropace hotel. If you are interested in a friendly walking tour look at www.afriendinrome.it. Ciao, Silvia
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 03:10 AM
Val

Look at the Hotel Aberdeen, it is very reasonable, excellent staff, really well decorated and the location is excellent for sightseeing. It is near the station, has every bus at the end of the street, 2 underground stops and within easy walking distance of many of the main attractions. Plus at night if you do not want to wander too far lots of good restaurants and bars.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 03:46 AM

It would help if you would give us an idea of what is a reasonable rate for you.I like Residenza San Panataleo,as the location can't be beat,right off Piazza Navona,and the prices are great.It's fairly basic,but comfortable.www.residenzasanpantaleo.com
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 05:34 AM

Here is a very affordable small hotel (19 rooms) smack in the middle of the historic center. It's right off Campo dei Fiori on lovely Via Del Pellegrino and very close to both Piazza Navona and St. Peters. Like posters above have already said, this is the neighborhood you want to stay in.

http://www.hotelrinascimento.com
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 11:45 AM

It would help if you tell us what you mean by "nice" and by "reasonable".

Does nice mean it has to have an elevator? Bellmen? A concierge? Do you need mini-bar or TV with english language channels? Basic room with bed and dresser/drawers and TV stand? Or do you want some comfy chairs to relax in?

And does reasonable mean 100 euros a night? 200? 300?
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 03:26 PM

You will get much more input at "tripadvisor.com" than on a forum like this. LOTS of user input, and the hotels are ranked by popularity of that input.
Another site with feedback where you can also see pictures, location, get prices and book the hotel is "venere.com"
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 05:31 PM

I loved the Albergho Cesari in the historic section. It was reasonably priced -- and so well located that I never took any transportation other than my feet -- (but I do enjoy walking).

I agree that you should check tripadvisor. That's how I found the Cesari.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 06:16 PM

In the same area as Hotel Aberdeen on the Via Modena is Residenza Cellini. This is a fantastic hotel, and the staff are the nicest people we've ever encountered. Very small, intimate hotel with impeccable service and personal attention--they absolutely made our stay in Rome special.

Website is www.residenzacellini.it