Rome

Feb 1st, 2008, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Rome

We will be in Rome two days post a cruise and are wondering where to stay that would be a central location for siteseeing. We have never been to Europe before. IT seems that Rome is divided into several sections..September trip.
Feb 1st, 2008, 05:59 PM

What kind of hotel are you looking for. Near Piazza Navona , the Pantheon, seem nice places. How about Ponte Sisto Hotel. A nice four stars that sometimes offers specials.
Feb 1st, 2008, 06:06 PM

The areas Graziella mentions are most people's favorites, especially if you have a nice budget to work with.

If you include your budget and interests, we can give you excellent recommendations. In the meantime, if you do a search here on Fodors for Rome hotels, you will get an overwhelming amount of information.

My own choice would be within the area between the top of the via delle Scrofa, to the general area of the Pantheon to the east, the Tiber to the west, and the Campo di Fiori to the south. These are loose boundaries, of course.

Having never been to Europe/Italy/Rome, I think you'll want a full service hotel in the center. The centro storico, or historic center, is considered by many people to be the place to stay. I would agree.
Feb 1st, 2008, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

WE are going to do the Rome Sites one day and Vatican City the other. We are really confused by all of the different locations. Our budget is mid range. I have read and read and am even more confused that is why I am asking for personal help. I think we are full service people. I would really appreciate any names of hotels and specific areas. We are there such a short time. Also any must see's or do's. We also have to figure out how to get from Paris to Rome. We are so green at all this. Want to have a great experience but have no experience if that makes any sense.
Feb 1st, 2008, 08:26 PM

Take a look at Albergo Santa Chiara http://www.albergosantachiara.com/ fabulously situated right behind the Pantheon. We stayed there twice (2004 and 2007) and were very happy with our choice both times. It is a full-service hotel with fairly decent prices. Not a bargain by any means but you will be spared the bitter aftertaste of a bargain priced accommodation.

Anna Roz
Feb 2nd, 2008, 01:19 AM

Hi, depending of the date you are coming I must insist that the Hotel Ponte Sisto, a lovely four stars, offers an excellent rate if you book directlyHave a look, location is very good. From there you can walk to many sights.
Feb 2nd, 2008, 01:45 AM

Also second the area around the Pantheon for atmosphere, and perfect location for walking safely everywhere.

This hotel Albergho Senato always gets great reviews...tripadvisor site says it is the #3 choice by satisfaction in Rome from their clients...

http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/H...ome_Lazio.html

Just try a bunch of booking sites to avoid the rack rate... Buon viaggio! Rouss
Feb 2nd, 2008, 02:03 AM

igottago-- take a deep breath. Now, please sit calmly and address the suggestions you have been given. You already have suggestions for area: Centro Historico, which is basically any hotel near the Pantheon and Piazza Navona. So, you are done with that question. Now sit calmly and start drafting a list of hotels in that area that are posted here with good recommendations. You already have two; e-mail those hotels for price and availability. If the price is right for you, stop and on to the next planning task: MUST SEE LIST. Guided tours are good alternatives for people in your situation, so don't sweat this too much. Please post how is your research going.
Feb 2nd, 2008, 05:18 AM

I would suggest trying to find a guide book at a library so you can get a better feel for the historic center area and decide which places you most want to see

This interactive map might help you get a better sense of how things are laid out. the Piazza Navonna/Pantheon area other posters are talking about is the center section of the map, and the Vatican is in the middle left square
http://www.romanhomes.com/map/index.htm
(the red dots on the map are apartment locations which you can just ignore)

Both the Fodors Destinations section and Frommers can give you suggestions for how to structure your time.

For sightseeing, Rome can be overwhelming with only two days.
The Vatican one day makes sense. I would recommend the Forum and Colosseum on the other day, plus at least a little of the Palatine Hill (you get a combined ticket to the Colosseum and Palatine so it is not an extra expense, and it is much easier to get the tickets without a line if you buy them at the entrance to the Palatine in the forum, near the Arch of Titus. At this point you can take the stairs up to the Farnese gardens overlooking the Forum)
For the rest of the day I would concentrate on seeing the Pantheon, Piazza Navonna and as many other nearby sights as you want to fit in. There are some beautiful smaller churches with great art work. This part of the city is great for walking or sitting and relaxing
Feb 2nd, 2008, 01:10 PM

Also, you say you are coming off of a cruise, but also that you need to get from Paris to Rome. It's not clear where the cruise ends. How much total time do you have after the cruise? If it's only 2 or 3 days perhaps you should just stay in France.

But if you want to make the jump, it sounds like you should take a plane from Paris. Train would be a long overnight trip.
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:04 PM

The best way to see Rome is on foot. Great plan to save a day for Vatican City. Take a tour there, helps lots with lines and info. You can walk Spanish Steps to Trevi to ruins to more fountains and squares than you can ever want, especially in the Panthenon area. Just avoid walking on the main streets, stay away from the smell of the bus fumes. Instead, meander on the side streets that are mini mazes, full of Italians not tourists, just head into a good direction and Go, you can see enough in a day. We are taking our kids there 3 days in June but coming off cruise lst day and 3rd day heading to Paris, not sure how yet, hence, here I am looking at Fodor hints, thanks everybody!!
Feb 28th, 2008, 11:00 AM

igottago,

Another thing that might help and which you will need anyway: go to Barnes and Noble and get a Rome Streetwise map. They are very detailed, easy to use, laminated and fold up easily. They also have ALL the sights and churches clearly marked and indexed. It will give help you get familiar with Roma!

Another web site I find helpful is venere.com. It gives the hotel location by neighborhood, shows it on a map, and you can sort by price, stars, location.

I would really, really try to get 1 or 2 more days for Rome.
Buon viaggio!
Feb 28th, 2008, 11:28 AM

Two discount airlines that fly from Rome to Paris are Easyjet and Vueling. I was pricing a flight from Paris to Rome to meet up with our cruise and 49 Euros and Vueling was 92 Euros. There are luggage restrictions and other charges that you have to take into account.
Feb 28th, 2008, 12:22 PM

igottago

Are you checking these responses? I tried to be very specific in giving you exact boundaries in which to stay. If you can name a price (mid range is very vague), I can give you at least a couple of hotels that fit.

Are you there?
Feb 29th, 2008, 09:42 AM

Apparently he/she asked and hasn't returned since 2/02.
If he/she does,I'd say that I agree withquot; For sightseeing, Rome can be overwhelming with only two days."

My understanding that most cruisers only get one night. They might be better off with a tour that their cruise will offer,especially if they are "full service people".