Best Hotel Location on Ortigia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be spending 4 nights on Ortigia in Siracusa and are trying to choose a hotel. The one with the best reviews on Trip Advisor which also has a great price (L'Approdo delle Sirene) seems to be at the very edge of the old town near the bridge to the mainland. We know it's a small island, but we're wondering if we'd be missing out on some of the charm if we stay there? Would we be better off at another hotel closer to the Piazza Duomo?

Thank you for your advice!
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 02:40 PM
kja

I loved L'Approdo delle Sirene for many reasons, including the wonderful views over the channel and harbor from its roof deck - views that are possible specifically because of its location. Ortigia is small, so I did not feel that I missed out on any of its charm. If anything, I enjoyed it more because I so enjoyed L'Approdo delle Sirene. Do keep in mind that L'Approdo delle Sirene is a B&B, not a hotel. Hope that helps!
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 03:08 PM

Hey jenmoore,

Ortygia is too small and too packed with things to see to have a bad location. If you have a car, you may want to consider staying closer to the bridges as that's where the car parks are. I stayed at Da Posta last year, very near the bridges and it was lovely. Turned out there was a daily market on the next road over and was 30 seconds from an archeological dig and my favourite bakery.

Have a fun trip!
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. It's great to hear from somone who loved L'Approdo. (And B&B is perfect for us.)

We don't have a car, so that's not a concern, but good to know the area is packed.

Has anyone stayed closer to the Piazza Domo who thinks we'd be missing out if we didn't stay right there?
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 02:39 AM

We had a great stay at www.ilcortiletto.com