Best and worst food culture in Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2007, 02:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In what area of Europe is the traditional food best and where is it the worst?

My nominations would be:

The best area is Belgium, especially Brussels and in the Flemmish counties.

The worst area would be Spain. From Seville to Barcelona, salty and dry seems to be the order of the day.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 03:01 AM

Sorry, my Spanish experiences have been very different from your own.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 03:42 AM

We didn't care for traditional Belgian food at all--especially the traditional Flemish dishes.

Now Belgian beer and non-traditional continental fare in Belgian restaurants are other stories altogether. Agree that traditional Spanish dishes would not be in my top 10 either.

I like traditional Italian and German offerings; though a steady diet of German traditional dishes would wear thin (maybe thin isn't exactly the appropriate word!) after a while.

But this is an area that is really a matter of personal taste!
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 03:46 AM

Please define or tell us what you consider 'best/worst' food. Before globalization only local food was available for menus. Locals still prefer traditional meals and are proud to offer them to guests. In our world where thousands die each day of starvation it is hard to believe that there can be 'worst' food. Why not say, "I didn't like the food in Where Ever".
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 03:56 AM

Traditional Dutch food has to be amongst the worst in the world. I can't imagine that the Flemings, who are so similar, have much better food than here. The Walloons maybe, due to their French heritage.
I love the fact that most countries still have very regional tradional food, most of whch is delicious.
Heck, almost anything I don't have to cook myself is delicious
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 03:59 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Of the places I have been, France wins, at least for my taste. But after two trips to Spain in the past year, I have to say that Spain gives France a run for their money.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 04:00 AM

I think this is so subjective that no one can predict what someone else is going to like.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 04:16 AM

I suppose there is a good reason for a post like this. It does help pass the time for some folks.

I wonder what happens when "the decision" is finally made.

Does the OP suddenly go there?

Does 'the answer' change anyone's mind?

Does any of it make any difference?
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 04:21 AM
carolinetaylor

Now you see i really enjoy typical Dutch food.

But my favourite food is typical italian. Mmmm

Old Jun 6th, 2007, 04:34 AM

Salty and dry in Spain?????....have you really traveled in that country?
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 04:39 AM

Can you imagine a more subjective subject? A more pointless discussion?
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 04:54 AM

Oh, yes. I can imagine many more pointless discussions.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 05:36 AM

Jake1 wrote: "Oh, yes. I can imagine many more pointless discussions."

You don't even need to use your imagination: read through this forum.

Old Jun 6th, 2007, 07:01 AM

Best: ITalian

Worst: anything my ex-mother-in-law prepared. Even after you pulled all the dog hair out of it.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 07:26 AM

Caroline I guess if you like mashed potato, overcooked vegetable and unidentifiable meat then yes Dutch food it fine. it is the only country I know where whne you ask what someone will be eating for dinner they reply cauliflower, or beans or whatever. Never what meat they will have or what they will do with it, just the vegetable they are going to ruin.
I have lived here for 23 years now, and still can't get used to it. I keep wanting to ask yes and what else?? But I know it will be potatoes, meat (who knows what meat?) and gravy. Or their truly horrible concoction known simply as macaroni. Plus it seems no one has ever told them that stewed apple and stewed rhubarb ar not vegetables!
Dutch pancakes I love, Indonesian I love, but Dutch domestic food - no thanks.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 07:43 AM

Love the Italian food, myself. Love the French food, too...especially the rustic local specialties out in the country (Loire Valley, Dordogne, etc.).

Never been wild about German food, but I wouldn't turn down a good thuringer mit kraut with a stein of bier.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 07:47 AM

In defense of Dutch food, the herring is truly the best I have ever had, esp in the coastal towns, but true, nothing else is truly memorable.

I like Italian food best with French a close second. I was also quite impressed by some of the top restaurants in Prague (Kampa Park, David, etc)

I decided I am not going to dwell on bad food experiences today.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 08:50 AM

Russian seriously has to be the worst.

They don't cook food, they prepare fuel for the body.

No herbs or spices other than dill, and that revolting sour cream smetana poured on everything.

Their cream cakes and buns on the other hand are the best in the world by a very very long way.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 10:23 AM

Agree that we liked Belgian food the best - every meal, even very simple ones, were delicious.

The worst food - by country - Russia by far - but I think this is a function of dificulty in getting decent ingredients - as well as poor standards of cuisine.

(We found food in Spain to be mixed - fantastic some places, not great in others - not be city but by restaurants - some with good reps. I think some of thme suffer from the Venice symdrome.)
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 10:30 AM

I think this post is just for conversation about a travel topic. Some people do use forums just for conversations, not to ask a specific question.

I'm not a big foodie and of course haven't been to them all, but I'd put France and Italy at the top, of course.

Belgium was okay but I don't know what is their traditional food. I liked their frites.

I'd put Spain in the middle of my list. I did have a lot of salty food there, that doesn't seem an odd comment to me (as well as dry, if one means not a lot of sauces -- I don't care about that but some might). Some of the worst was some very salty fish in Seville, ugh. I like Polish and Czech food a bit, but get tired of it easily.

Worst I've had has been in Ireland and UK. Scotland wasn't so hot, either.

I don't like German food much, I'd put that in the middle, below Spain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -