Search

Berner Oberland when it's raining

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berner Oberland when it's raining

Hi all

A month ago I found a thread about the BO which had embedded some nice tips about "things to do when it's raining and you're in the Alps" but I didn't bookmark it and I can't find it. The title isn't obvious - I found one with the obvious title and it wasn't the same one.

I don't want to curse our vacation (I'll be glad if we just make it there given that darn volcano) but I may as well have stuff to consider if we do get rained on. I think it was perhaps Bob who wrote these tips, or maybe Gruezi, Schuler or Enzian? The thread wasn't specifically about things to do in the rain, but a poster helpfully added some nice ideas when the thread took a tangent.

Any ideas would be great. I'm hoping for perfect, sunny weather but it doesn't hurt to have a few ideas in the back pocket if we get caught out.

Thank you!
Old May 9th, 2010, 11:37 AM

Hi Flygirl, The only one I remember was Trummel___ falls.Hope you have dry wather!
Old May 9th, 2010, 04:03 PM

Another possibility is to train to Bern.
Old May 9th, 2010, 04:07 PM

Ltos of cute twns to explore - some with interesting castles:

Lucern
Thun - with castle
Gruyere - castle and cheesemaking

Also, many "rainy" days are more drizzle - or only partly rainy.
Old May 9th, 2010, 04:59 PM

Just remembered...Trummelbach falls. From trip advisor"For a romantic afternoon in the summer it's hard to beat the lake steamers on Lake Brienz. The boat docks right behind the Ost train station. The boats make leisurely journeys up and down the lake crisscrossing from one lakeside village dock to another. The sites are fantastic of waterfalls, villages, and the many places of interest in the area. The upper deck is a great place to enjoy a glass of wine and a snack as the scenry goes by. If you want to get on and off the boat to explore any of the lakeside sites just keep your ticket with you and you can reboard the next boat that comes by."
An additional idea....but I do not know how suitable it would be in the rain.
Old May 10th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!
Old May 10th, 2010, 04:17 AM

Train to Bern with it's wonderful town centre and mostly covered arcades, or a trip to Luzern to visit the huge Transport Museum. Often the rain clouds are below the highest peaks so a trip up the Schilthorn might be worthwhile if that is the case - you can sunbathe at the top and enjoy the magnificent view of 3000m mountains poking out of a sea of cloud. Basel and Zurich are not too far away either and they have some magnificent galleries and museums. If there is still good visibility any train journey is worthwhile, but particularly the Interlaken to Luzern line or nay of the mountain or valley railways. Finally, bear in mind that the Alps have many different climates, so a train ride through the Lotschberg might deliver you into spectacular sunshine in the Rhone Valley. Also the Rhine Valley, Lausanne area and Graubunden tend to have more sunshine than some parts of Switzerland.