Interlaken - Lake Brienz/Lake Thun

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2016, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have one full day in Interlaken and are definitely wanting to see Lake Brienz. We have a 4 day consecutive Swiss Rail Pass and have heard that it covers the boat ride in Lake Brienz.

Will this cover the boat ride in Lake Thun? And if so, if we took the boat ride on Lake Thun, is it possible to get off at the castles to view them? I see that the there is a Lake Thun Castle hop tour but since we have the pass, I would like to make the most use of it.

The pass also includes admission into museums. Would castles be counted as museums??

Any other suggestions on what to do in the Interlaken area? We are open to suggestions. Our primary purpose of visiting this area is to hang around Lake Brienz
Old Jul 4th, 2016, 11:05 AM

One day is great for either lake and yes the Swiss Pass covers boats on both lakes - if you have a 2nd class pass consider paying an upgrade to first class on board so you can sit in the open-air deck up front - won't cost much and much better views.

Passes do cover many castles but not all - Spiez' castle is as fine as any on Lake Thun - sits high above the boat dock - for most folks the primary reason for visiting Interlaken is to take a train into the high Alps - like to Grindelwald or Wengen or the Jungfraujoch.

For lots of good stuff on transports in the area and what to see: check www.swisstravelsytem.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com
Old Jul 4th, 2016, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks PalenQ!! I actually bought my pass from Byron at Budget Travel. Thanks for letting me know about him

If we do the Lake Thun boat ride, can we get off at the castles and then get back on?
Old Jul 4th, 2016, 11:21 AM
kja

With just one day, I think you would be hard pressed to take the boats on both Lake Brienz AND Lake Thun, particularly if you hope to visit any of the castles near Thun. You'll have to check the connections carefully to determine whether it's possible, and be sure to note the times at which the castles close.
Old Jul 4th, 2016, 12:31 PM

No castles to my knowledge after taking Brienz boats several times on Lake Brienz, which to me is a more interesting lake because of the stops you can make - Meiringen - home of meringue I guess and the nearby Reichenbach Falls - famous venue of where Sherlock Holmes and arch-enemy Dr Moriarity tangled on the belevedere half-way up =- presumably to the evil doctor's death.

Can walk there from Meiringen or take a bus and then a funicular up the very long and very gushing falls.

The Glacier Gorges are also near Meiringen - take the small train to Innertkirchen and walk thru the narrow chasm on catwalks - Brienz is know for its wood-cutters - note the wooden houses with elaborately carved fronts and from here you can take the steam train up a mountain behind town - I walzed down on zigzagging paths after taking the old train up (1/2 off with Swiss Pass).

Finally do get off at Geissbach Falls and ride the antique funicular up to the famous hotel there and best view of these roaring cascades.

Take the train quickly back from Brienz or Meiringen to Interlaken-Ost station.
Old Jul 4th, 2016, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys!
We were thinking of doing the jet boat tour on Lake Brienz. Charter a boat for our family and do a fun thrill ride around the lake.
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 10:41 AM

Wow -that sounds sweet!
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 12:44 PM

We got 2nd class tickets via Swiss Pass on the boat on Lake Brienz and sat outside. No need to go 1st class.
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 02:08 PM

They are chartering their own boat - 1st class on Swiss boats is up front- 2nd class can sit outside in the rear - but obviously up front on top is the best view and thus why first class.

Has this changed - did you sit up front outside and the frontal view is nicer IMO and the upgrade not much.