Berlin, Prague and ….?

Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berlin, Prague and ….?

We will travel from Amsterdam to Berlin. We then have 11 nights to spend, ending in Prague. If we spend 3 in Prague, 5 in Berlin, we still have 3 nights to spend visiting some other great places. But where? We are thinking we rent a car and make our way to Dresden, then train to Prague. Regensberg sounds great, but it is pretty out of the way for this trip. This will be end of April, first week of May 2016.
Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 08:37 PM

I'd vote for Dresden... You don't actually need a car for those three cities.
Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 09:06 PM

Yup. Dresden is the logical choice. Especially if you include the National Park Saxon Switzerland (or base yourself right in the latter for a break from the cities.)
Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 09:06 PM
kja

Ditto what Trophywife said.

And depending on your interests, you might want a bit more time in Prague, or for that matter, Berlin. Have you plotted what you want to see and do out on a calendar?
Old Dec 3rd, 2015, 04:05 AM

Vienna is not a bad idea - but is hardly the most beautiful city in europe. There was a lot of damage in WWII and much of what you see reconstructed in the 1960s - not really organic growth with many original historic buildings - as for instance you get in Prague - which IMHO is at least as beautiful as Vienna.(And I would say that Brugges is more beautiful than either.)

If you do add Vienna be aware that you are giving it very short shrift unless you take time from the other cities, which is not recommended - in fact I think you need more time in Prague - esp if you will do a day trip.

And if you do add it be sure you have open jaws flights to avoid losing a day betting back to wherever you are starting
Old Dec 3rd, 2015, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

We've already booked ourselves home from Prague, so we're "filling in" the calendar now. I think we'll save Vienna for another trip. Recommended day trips from Prague? and Berlin? Dresden on the way to Prague is a good option.
Old Dec 3rd, 2015, 06:07 AM

The obvious daytrips from Berlin are

- Potsdam with two castles and a splendid park,
- Schwerin with its castle on a lake.

Since the train ride to Dresden takes only 2 hours, 2 nights in Dresden will be sufficient. Add another night to Berlin - there is so much to see there (especially if you want to do daytrips).

So far no need for a rental car.
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 11:08 AM
kja

Ad
Old Dec 7th, 2015, 12:06 PM

Just our two-cents worth supporting the idea of spending some time in Dresden. A beautiful city situated on both sides of the Elbe.
Old Dec 7th, 2015, 12:19 PM

The train south of Dresden tracks along the Elbe River valley featruing soaring reddish sandstone cliffs (sit on the east side of the train!) topped for old forts and castles like the famous Basteii.

Go to www.bahn.de/en for advance fares as low as 29 euros or so - much cheaper than full price. For details on trains check www.seat61.com - great info on discounted tickets; www.ricksteves.comand www.budgeteuropetravel.com - First class IME is a more relaxed ride, especially for folks with typically too much luggage as there is more room to stow them with about 25% less people traveling in the same size train car and discount tickets come in first class too.
Old Dec 7th, 2015, 12:20 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=saxo...w=1745&bih=868
Old Dec 7th, 2015, 12:38 PM

Do enjoy Dresden plus nearby Meisen for the pocelain factory. Might think about Wittenberg where Luther taught. And south of Dresden, indeed Bastei rock formation to the south. Then on to Prague.
Old Dec 7th, 2015, 01:02 PM

YOu probably don't have time for day trips if you are only in Dresden 2 days, but when I was there, I visited Leipzig, which isn't very far by train. I loved Leipzig, actually liked it better than Dresden.

I've been to Prague several times and have done day trips to Kutna Hora (highly recommend for a close one), as well as Cesky Krumlov, Hluboka, and Tabor. Tabor is excellent if you are interested in history as they have a fantastic museum about Jan Hus. I did Tabor on my own by train, but took day bus tours for the others. There are several good day tour companies in Prague with very reasonable rates. I've used Martin Tours and Prague Sightseeing Tours, both were good.