Berlin Lodgin

Old Apr 16th, 2004, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berlin Lodgin

My husband and I will be spending a long weekend in Berlin in early May. Having just begun to learn about the city, I'm not yet sure what area we should stay in. We will be driving into the city, so would prefer somewhere we could park the car (and leave it) for the weekend, and then rely on public transportation to get around. Generally, I also prefer smaller pensions, with more local flavor. Finally, we will have our 4 month old son with us; it would be nice to have a place with a crib, but I realize that is probably unlikely at a pension.

Does anyone have any suggestions on neighborhoods or specific lodging in Berlin?

THANKS
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 06:03 AM

Try Madison Potsdamer Platz for nice Suites with kitchenettes in the best location of the whole city. For a B&B like hotel also in a great location try Hotel Gendarm (www.hotel-gendarm-berlin.de). Absolutely stay in Berlin "Mitte"!!
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 06:10 AM
Singletail

It would be helpful, perhaps, if you told us a bit more about your interests although with Berlin's absolutely extensive and excellent transportation system you can almost everywhere from about anywhere.
Frankly, and with apologies beforehand, I get a little tired of people who practically shout at you to "stay in Mitte" and the most they can come up with, reason-wise, is that "it is close to everything."

There are other areas that might suit your taste better which are perfectly acceptable and convenient aso if you aren't able to find any place to stay in "close to everything" Mitte don;t hesitate to consider staying elsewhere.

Berlin is a wonderful city and I hope you enjoy your stay there.

Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 06:46 AM

We really enjoyed the Hotel Astoria becuse it was so easy to get everywhere from there. Very comfortable rooms, helpful reception, free internet, great breakfasts. I would think they would be very helpful with the baby. From there it is a 2 minute walk to the Zoo Station and you can get anywhere from there.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 07:25 AM

mom- if you are driving to Berlin and wish to avoid intercity traffic, it is perfectly acceptable to to stay more on the outskirts given the excellent public transportation. One area you might consider is around the convention center (Messe) with excellent connections to freeways. A possibility would be the Seehoff Hotel, located in a park on the banks of a small lake, and with parking facilities. Check with the hotel to see if there is a charge for overnight parking and proximity to public transportation.
Old May 13th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies - in the end we decided to take the cheap way out and use some Marriott points to stay at the hotel at Potsdamer platz. A little impersonal, but a nice hotel!