Berlin hotels and more

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berlin hotels and more

Hello,
I have read so many posts on Berlin hotels here and am feeling very unlucky. It appeared that a €100/night budget would have been plenty but now I can't really find anything in that range. I would like to stay in the Mitte area, just need a basic clean hotel to stay in, as long as its in a safe neighborhood with a couple of restaurants nearby so I dont have to go too far after a long day of site seeing.
I am completely open to staying in another part of town too, my main interests in Berlin are of the architectural kind, so am anticipating alot of walking! So if anyone has a hotel suggestion (dbl room)I would be most appreciative!
Also am planning to be in Berlin Sept 15-18, would I need an a/c in the hotel room?
Thank you all!!
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 07:30 AM
LN

You might try bidding on priceline for the Mitte area and if you do some research on Bidding for travel you should find a starting bid around $75 US. that's still much better than 100 euros.

I got the Art Otel there and it looks pretty good and is supposedly a 4 star.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 07:37 AM
J62

I stayed in Hotel Alsterhof (basic 3-4*, clean, comfortable) near K'damm a year ago and paid $75/night on priceline.

Public transportation in Berlin is fantastic, bus, streetcar and subway so it is not mandatory to stay in any one specific area.

check out biddingfortravel.com for priceline bidding tips BEFORE you visit priceline. You will not need AC mid Sept.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 08:02 AM

Here's a link to Hotel Ravenna. It's in the Steglitz area, near U & S Bahns and shopping / eating on Schloss Strasse. Check it out.

http://www.ravenna-hotel.de/english/index.html
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 08:29 AM

How about arty, funky - and clean and in a nice neighbourhood? We loved our stay in 2004 at the Propeller Island Lodge, just off Kurfursten Damm near the Adenauer Platz underground stop. Each room is a work of art - some are quite strange (and not my cup of tea), some are beautiful, all are memorable. It was easy to book (a few email exchanges to ensure that the specific room we wanted was available; we always got a reply within 24 hours) and everything went smoothly. It's not a full-service hotel (it's located on several floors of an apartment building and management is not on-site 24 hours a day), but it has a nice breakfast room and offers a good breakfast. Prices range from 65-180 euros, but most are in the 90-110 euro range. Even if you don't end up staying there, you should have a look at the website and imagine yourself staying in the various rooms: http://www.propeller-island.com/room...l/01/index.php
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input. I spent 40 minutes trying to understand the biddingfortravel website, and frankly am none the wiser now, so probably won't be able to try that out.

I have emailed pension peters and have heard back from hotel astoria (both recommended on this site). I have found a room at the hotel Angleterre, has anyone heard of it? It seems quite central and I haven't read any bad reviews for it.

Would you recommend the hotel astoria over hotel angleterre? And if pension peters gets back to me with a room, what would be the best in your opinion?

Trophywife007 hotel ravenna doesn't have rooms available for all the nights I plan to be away, and Kate W, while the Propeller Island Lodge seems interesting, I dont think I could actually sleep there!!

Thank you everyone once again!
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 07:25 AM

Try Accorhotels.com .

We stayed at this very convenient hotel for a cheap rate that isn't commonly available, but give it a try:
http://tinyurl.com/pvfg4
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 07:26 AM

If you really want the Mitte area, Priceline isn't necessarily the greatest option, because the zones are defined in such a way that you cannot be sure of getting a Mitte hotel.

Take a look at Hotwire, though. I don't remember how the zones are defined, but I think they are smaller than Priceline.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 07:36 AM

just to second previous recommendations,public transport in berlin sets the standard,there is no need to limit yourself to mitte.the zoo area is a very good base.

try an ibis. cant go wrong. Ibis Berlin City West will leave you with cash to spare.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 10:40 AM

We second what Chevy Chasen says about the public transport in Berlin. We always stay at the Hotel Ibis am Messe which is very convenient to bus lines and the S-Bahn. The Ibis am Messe may not "atmosphere". but it is nodern and the rooms and their bathrooms are good size.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks once again for all this feedback. I am leaning towards the Angleterre. Is there some major flaw with this hotel that anyone knows about?? This would be the time to tell me!!!!
Thanks
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 02:10 PM

Tripadvisor has lots of reviews about the Angleterre. i am considering it for a trip in October. Looks like mixed reviews, but mostly fine. Check it out at www.tripadvisor.com
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 09:27 AM

We found the best hotel in the Zoo area that is in your budget. Stayed there over the summer. I highly recommend it. Great location, less than 100 Euros, and wonderfully appointed.

Hotel Astoria in Berlin
http://www.hotelastoria.de/index-e.html
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 07:26 AM

The area around hackescher markt is very expensive. Move a lottle bit more east. The Holiday Inn Landsberger Allee has a fair pricing for the east centre.

http://www.grandcityhotels.com