Advice for Hotels in Berlin

Old Apr 19th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice for Hotels in Berlin

I think I've done my homework on this. (Thank goodness the Delta airline strike has been delayed for now.) I would like to hear any comments or experiences with any of the following available hotels in Berlin.

***Hotel Jurine - 70 eur ($13 breakfast)
****Bleibtreu - 129 eur (breakfast included)
*****Swissotel - 150 eur (breakfast included)
*****Brandenburger Hof 190 eur (breakfast included)

For Berlin I think I would prefer staying in 4/5 star hotels, but the accountant in me would like to save money. (Location, service, atmosphere, and food are more important than price.)

Questions: Is the Brandenburger 40 eur a night better than the Swissotel? Is the Bleibtreu a tad too trendy (uberhip?). The Jurine gets good reviews, is in a good location (Mitte), but it looks sterile from the few photos I've seen. It also got a recommendation from Rick Steves -- which I haven't decided is good or bad.

BTW - I've tried bidding on Priceline but so far they haven't accepted any of my bids. I'm also afraid of what I might get if I went to a three star property.

Thanks.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 08:41 PM

I've only stayed at the Swissotel and found it to be quite comfortable. It is done in a contemporary style and the location is one block off the Ku'Damm, which is the area I, personally, prefer. I think the a/c must have worked well, since we were there during the year of the big summer heat wave.

If the price you quote includes breakfast for two, that seems like a good deal.

All the best to you.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 09:07 PM

If you're keen to save money and still get a good hotel, you can do that in Berlin, unless there's a major conference or fair.

Try these sites:
http://www.accorhotel.com
http://www.hrs.de
http://www.hotels.de

This is where we are staying, for an average 57 Euros per night:
http://tinyurl.com/gc96n

Last time I stayed at the Westin Grand in Berlin (thanks to Priceline), which was a great hotel in a great location, but this time I'm not using Priceline because I can easily meet or beat the price with Accor and still get a good hotel, and Priceline might give me a hotel in an area I don't prefer.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 09:08 PM

Also this site:
http://www.bookings.org
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks TW and WT. HSV?
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 08:20 PM
DAX

Of the 4 hotels you mentioned, I've only stayed at the Swissotel which I would recommend. It is located in Charlottenburg which is a bit removed from the Mitte where most of the major Berlin tourist attractions, but the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church is right across the street from Swissotel. I do like the lounge style lobby.

I just stayed at the Marriott in Potsdamerplatz last week for 109eur, we were upgraded to the executive level as a courtesy. By far I prefer staying in Potsdamerplatz because it's right in the middle btw east & west Berlin.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 09:07 PM

Of the ones you mention, I've only stayed at the Brandenburger Hof. We took my in-laws for Thanksgiving in 2000. Great location, great restaurant (die Quadriga-just yummy!, great service. The hotel is very modern-sleek, minimalistic, trendy, etc. I'd definitely stay there again.

Have a great time!
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 09:12 PM

Swissotel gets my vote.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 10:24 PM

How does a hotel get to be "too hip"???

With Berlin's excellent and very dense public transport system there is no need to stay "in Mitte" just because it happens to be phsically a little closer to some of the better-known tourist sites. After you've been to those then what do you do?
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 11:59 PM
hsv

Bird,

I haven't stayed at any of the ones you mention. However, with the exception of the Jurine I am familiar with them.

The Swissotel, the Bleibtreu and the Brandenburger Hof are all in the same vicinity in the western part of the city and close (and in the case of the Swissotel even on) Ku'damm. Very central location, the Brandenburger Hof and the Bleibtreu in very nice (and slightly upscale) side streets.

I don't think that the Baleibtreu would be "überhip". It is indeed a design hotel, but friends of mine stayed there and were fairly content while a bit disappointed in the design part as they found it a bit "IKEA-ish". I don't think that would prevent me from staying there, though.

The Swissotel is fairly nice with a lobby on the second floor and reportedly the rooms feature espresso-machines. It doesn't have a pool, which personally I always enjoy in a "five-star".

The Brandenburger Hof is housed in an art-nouveau mansion and features Bauhaus-inspired interiors. Its restaurant has been star decorated for years and as such enjoys a very good reputation. Also no pool. I don't think that I would spend € 40.00 on top of the Swissotel rate, though.

As you have also mentioned one hotel in Mitte (former East Berlin), I'd like to throw in my recommendation of the Radisson SAS. Very often it can be booked through the Radisson website at € 99.00 as a "Hot deal" rate, which I believe is a steal. I would not pay the € 180.00 the otherwise ask, though. Its location is right behind Museum island and within easy walking distance to Unter den Linden Blvd. Its interiors are modern, but tasteful.

The Marriott at Potsdamer Platz would be a fairly good option, too, although I found their service to be not too friendly and accomodating upon my stay there. You would also have to be aware that Potsdamer Platz is quite interesting , but also a bit artificial as a neighbourhood (and a completely different ballgame compared to the area around Ku'damm) - one has to like it or hate it, I guess.

As a résumé it would be a toss-up for me between the Swissotel and the Bleibtreu for options in the West and hands-down the Radisson at € 99.00 if you want to be in the East or are undecided.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 03:07 AM

Adding my two cents:
I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in City Center and let me tell you for someone who stays at Mattiotts more then 100 nights a year it was closer to a JW (top tier) than a courtyard, the room was very large and very comfortable and it cost 60 Euros a night.
It was also within walking distance from all signts.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 04:49 AM
DAX

FYI there was a double murder right across the street from Marriott Courtyard city center last week. A twenty year old was arrested as a suspect. I went to the actual hotel to view the rooms last week though I didn't stay there. The surrounding area is not as desirable except for the Krausenstrasse side, unfortunately that's where the double murder occured.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

HSV - I tried the Radisson as per one of your earlier recommendations, but it was booked for the dates I'm there. I also looked into the Marriott and Courtyard but the rates were too high and the dates were blocked out for using reward points.

I'm leaning towards the Swissotel, but I've noticed that the Kempinski Bristol has some similar rates to the Swissotel (except breakfast isn't included). (I'm leaving for Germany in less than two weeks so I need to make a decision.)

DAX - are you back from Dresden? I would like to hear your thoughts about your visit.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:32 PM
DAX

Bird, Dresden was really great even on my third visit. For a first time visit, you can comfortably spend a couple of days enjoying the city itself. They invest a lot to renovate the old town. One of our highlights was hiking around the Bastei. Our very hospitable Fodorite in Dresden offers really great suggestions.

Glaeserne Manufaktur was fun & amazing, but you have to understand German well as there is a lot of hidden details. We couldn't eat after the virtual test drive (motion sickness), so we skipped Lesage. If you must have an English tour, I read that they have a personalized package for 85 eur: they pick you up from any hotel with a Phaeton for a multicourse dinner at Lesage then give you a personal factory tour. Lesage Phone(0)351-4204250/FAX (0)351-4204994.

I don't know if you're aware that Phaeton is selling in the low 40's in the US which is 35 thousand euros less than in Germany. Unfortunately they have stopped exporting it to the US now.

BTW I would pick the Berlin Swissotel over Kempinski anytime. Just read the not so great reviews of the Bristol. IMO, Kempinski is not as consistent in hotel standard, I've been disappointed with a couple hotels.