accomodation in East Berlin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of four - 2 adults, two young teens -- that will be in Berlin for 2-3 days in July. We are seeking an inexpensive accomodation in East Berlin, preferably near the Reichstag. Any tips regarding this location or other good locations for tourists like us to stay at and accomodations that are not too expensive would be great. We are looking for something a cut above a youth hostel that includes a private bath . . .

Thanks.
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 02:59 PM

Check this out: http://www.circus-berlin.de/.

I know you said you don't want a hostel, which is how I know of The Circus, but it seems as though they have a budget hotel as well. The hostel was actually one of my favorites I've stayed in, so I wouldn't rule it out before at least looking, especially with the teens. And it's very well-located in Berlin...the hostel anyway. It looks like there are actually apartments where the hostel is as well, so that might be a good option for your budget.

Anyway, have a look. It was perfect for my friend and I, and we were near everything. I'd definitely stay again. Berlin is just too cool of a city!
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 04:34 PM
LN

Hi

When we were in Berlin last year I booked our hotel through Priceline (Mitte). I thought I would start off low ( 3 or 4 stars) and then build the price up but my first bid of $60. US dollars was accepted and we stayed at the ART Hotel. It was very comfortable and the rooms were supposedly running around $150. a night. If you have a couple days to bid on rooms I would suggest using Priceline - I'm certain you'd get a nice hotel for a low price.

Old Dec 13th, 2008, 04:41 PM

If you do use Priceline, make sure to bid for two rooms, as a typical room only holds two people.

I've also heard very good things about the Circus, as well as Wombats and St. Christopher's. No need to stay in the dorms at those hostels. As mentioned, some hostels have private apartments.

Old Dec 14th, 2008, 12:22 PM

The Reichstag is not East Berlin - it is exactly on the former border between East and West. The district you are looking for is called "Potsdamer Platz" or "Mitte" - both rather expensive areas.

Since Berlin has an excellent subway system it is not important where you stay - at least, if it is in walking distance to an U-Bahn or S-Bahn station.

Try also www.hrs.de.

You will find amazingly cheap hotels, expecially if you accept locations which are not right in the center. The website has a mapping function.
Old Dec 14th, 2008, 01:30 PM

berlin is not an expensive city,you get double the value you would get for a similarly priced room in paris or london.i dont think there are any hotels "near" the reichstag,only govenment bldings and greenery.you dont need to be that close anyways as the ubahn will take you there in a wink.i would verify that the hotel is closeby a ubahn stop with google earth (tick the transportation layer to show S & U Bahn stops on the sat image) before choosing.if you dont get a central hotel,a long walk after dark though a lonely berlin construction site might get a bit creepy.
Old Dec 14th, 2008, 09:10 PM

We enjoyed renting an apt. for our 2 day trip to Berlin. We used this agency: http://www.zimmervermittlung24.com/e_index.html

But this is not the only agency out there. We liked having a separate entrance, a nicely equipped kitchen, etc. The website will show you the neighborhoods for each apt. We also look on Google Earth when searching for accommodations. This really lets you "see" the neighborhood so you have no surprises.

The metro is easy, no sense staying near the Reichstag. Pick a nicer neighborhood.
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. A question re hostels in europe: do you need to bring your own bedding? That is the only reason we are not considering them -- in my youth I spent a lot of time in hostels but I always traveled with a sleeping bag, which we do not want to do on this trip. Thanks for clearing this up for me

jes
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 03:47 PM

No, you don't have to bring your own bedding.
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 07:26 PM

Agree with WillTravel 100%. I have never stayed in a hostel (and there have been plenty) where we had to supply linens.

It definitely depends on the hostel, but it seems like some of the ones I've stayed in would be better titled "budget hotels." If you're staying in a private room with a bathroom, it hardly feels like a hostel at all. Now, the dorms on the other hand
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

We'd like to stay in a one bedroom apt in Prenzlauerberg, if anyone has any suggestions. The one I was looking at, Steiner Apts., is already booked. Thanks.
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 03:00 PM

i second the priceline suggestion, if you arent able to find anything decent for cheap. check out http://betterbidding.com/ for suggestions on bidding strategies/prices people have been winning hotels for. i recently won a 5* hotel in berlin for ~90/night AFTER taxes/fees. obviously could have done better with a 3* or 4*. best of luck!
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. We are staying in an apt we found on some web site in Prenzlauerberg -- 1 BR/BA with large living room and kitchen right on a park