Berlin: Adlon or Ritz-Carlton?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to decide between these two. Anyone with recent first-hand experiences? Would appreciate hearing your opinions.

Thanks
Old Aug 8th, 2009, 02:20 PM
hsv

Full disclosure first: While I am familiar with their locations and public areas I haven't stayed at either of them as I generally prefer more modern style hotels.
That said, here's my 2 cents:
Location: the Adlon is slightly better than the Ritz. In fact it's hard to beat the Adlon's location being right next to the Brandenburg Gate. The Ritz is on modern (and still slightly sterile) Potsdamer Platz, only 7 minutes by foot from the Adlon, basically seperated from it by the monument for the Jews and the Brandenburg Gate.
Style: Both are more or less new hotels that pretend to be historic.
Atmosphere: the Adlon is probably Germany's most famous hotel. As at the same time it has such a prominent location to go with the name it attracts a lot of walk-in- traffic. The hotel does a fairly good job of keeping obviously naff people out, but it remains busier than the Ritz, which people in general care less about (unless some popstar stays there, in which case it, too, attracts an enthusiastic crowd with nothing better to do than wait in front of a hotel).
Quality of hotel: I am not a big fan of either Kempinski or Ritz Carlton. While I find most Ritz Carlton's just too stuffy for my taste (wholly personal issue), their quality seldom can be faulted. Kempinski, however, are currently doing a very thorough job of running some formerly very prestigious German hotels into the ground, i.e. the Atlantic in Hamburg, the Bristol in Western Berlin, the sadly abysmal Schloss Reinhartshausen in the Rheingau region and apparently even the Taschenbergpalais in Dresden, all of which were either expelled from Leading Hotels of the World (Atlantic, which also was forced to denounce its 5* rating by the German hotel association, and Bristol) or were disassociated from it upon Kempinski's initiative. The list can be continued with the only half-hearted renovation of the Vier Jahreszeiten in Munich, where some of the rooms rather resemble those of a decent Holiday Inn, but still are sold at premium prices.
That said, the Adlon still appears to be a good quality hotel overall.
If you are determined to stay at either of these, I'd stay at the RC if you prefer a quieter place and the Adlon if you want to benefit from its more glamourous aura.
My preferred choice in Berlin would be the Grand Hyatt across the street from the Ritz Carlton, which is more modern in style, but will offer some of the best service and amenities imaginable. Alternatively, Rocco Forte's Hotel de Rome offers outstanding quality and a very nice location between Humboldt University, the Opera Unter den Linden and Gendarmenmarkt and can also hardly be faulted for its quality.
Old Aug 8th, 2009, 04:35 PM

'The Ritz is on modern (and still slightly sterile) Potsdamer Platz,"
I did not stay at the hotel but would not wish to be located at Potsdamer Platz.

The area near the Branderburg Gate seemed so touristy and without any charm.
Gendarmenmarkt is much more attractive part of Berlin IMO.
Old Aug 8th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies.
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 03:23 PM

I have stayed at the Adlon and found it to have outstanding rooms, great room service and a wonderful spa, the lobby bar was also great with friendly staff, would stay there again in a minute.
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Again, thanks for your comments..they are appreciated and very helpful.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 02:26 AM

No personal experience, but this was printed in the Daily Telrgraph travel section this weekend: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ho...tel-watch.html
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 02:48 AM
Original Poster

Stfc, Thank you very much for the link..it helps.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 04:32 AM

I have stayed in a junior suite at the Adlon and the room was outstanding. Service in the Adlon is of highest standards. (German hoteliers try to send their sons/daughters to the Adlon to get some luxury hotel work experience - these are highly motivated).

However, the Rocco Forte Hotel de Rome is my favourite - more boutique hotel feeling and innovative design in rooms and public areas. Excellent bars. The relaxed, non-snobbish atmosphere of a true luxury hotel where no one needs to show how pecunious he/she is. And also excellent location.

I personally would not even consider the Ritz-Carlton, firstly because of its location, secondly because it has nothing of Berlin's spirit.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Traveller1959